Is it safe to delete data in TempState folder in ArcGIS Runtime UWP application

Jump to solution
11-04-2019 03:37 AM
matuskajba
New Contributor II

I have an application in ArcGIS Runtime api for UWP.

In application folder there is a TempState folder and when I am using online map services in this application, there are quite a lot files created in this temp folder. There are files without extension and .geodatabase files. I have examined a little this files and I am assuming, that they provides some local cache for used map services. Files without extensions seems to store tiles from tiled services, and .geodatabase files stores something for feature services and dynamic services.

My question is, if it is safe to delete this files on application restart. I know that if these are cache files it may affect performance, but are there any other side-effects?

The point is I don’t wish this folder to grow in size unlimitedly, so I want to perform some occasional cleaning.

Thank you

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dotMorten_esri
Esri Notable Contributor

It's safe to delete, but there's really no reason, as Windows will automatically maintain and clean up the temp folders as needed.

In many cases the files will auto-delete as well, but if you're developing and shutting down the app from Visual Studio, you might be interrupting the clean-up, so you'd likely see a larger build-up, than you'd see in a normal production environment.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
dotMorten_esri
Esri Notable Contributor

It's safe to delete, but there's really no reason, as Windows will automatically maintain and clean up the temp folders as needed.

In many cases the files will auto-delete as well, but if you're developing and shutting down the app from Visual Studio, you might be interrupting the clean-up, so you'd likely see a larger build-up, than you'd see in a normal production environment.