How to Create Local Geocoder File

Jump to solution
05-22-2015 08:53 AM
JimFiddes
Occasional Contributor

Hi Everyone

I'm in the process of transitioning from ArcEngine to Runtime .Net and I have reviewed the sample code for online and offline GeoCoding; however, the one thing I'm uncertain on is how to create the "*.loc" file? In the code example, a locallocator task is created ( _locatorTask = await Task.Run<LocalLocatorTask>(() => new LocalLocatorTask(LOCATOR_PATH));) by a path to the loc file and the examples always have the SanFran...loc file present.

I need to create a program that will allow our clients to use their street layer to create this file and in the past the loc file was created inside a FeatureDataset within a FileGeoData base. I have seen comments on taking an online geocoder and syncing to offline mode, yet there are no examples on how to take a street layer (possibly ShapeFile) and generate a local loc file.

If someone can provide assistance on creating a loc file (through code) I would appreciate it.

Jim

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MichaelBranscomb
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi,

To create a Locator for use with the ArcGIS Runtime you will need to use the ArcGIS Desktop (i.e. ArcMap / ArcCatalog) tool "Create Runtime Content". This can either be done via the ArcMap GUI dialog - File > Share As > Runtime Content or by running the Geoprocessing tool.

For more information see the following links:

ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2)

Currently it's not possible to build a Runtime app to do this, although we are investigating supporting that workflow.

Cheers

Mike

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
MichaelBranscomb
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi,

To create a Locator for use with the ArcGIS Runtime you will need to use the ArcGIS Desktop (i.e. ArcMap / ArcCatalog) tool "Create Runtime Content". This can either be done via the ArcMap GUI dialog - File > Share As > Runtime Content or by running the Geoprocessing tool.

For more information see the following links:

Currently it's not possible to build a Runtime app to do this, although we are investigating supporting that workflow.

Cheers

Mike

0 Kudos