Heatmap & Cluster layers support

02-10-2015 04:17 AM
ItamarKcholi
New Contributor

Hi,

I wanted to know when the Heatmap and Cluster layers will be supported (ported?) into the Runtime .net SDK and if it is anytime soon.

Also if this is something that will take time, what are the best alternatives with the current supported capabilities.

Thanks,

Itamar

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
17 Replies
JoshuaTharp
New Contributor II

I would also like to know the road map for these two items.

I understand the .Net renderer can handle more items on the map, and clustering may be less priority now for some. But it also reduces the visual clutter on them map and I would like to see it in the SDK at some point.

0 Kudos
JeffLaFrenz
New Contributor

I am also very interested in both features (specifically clusters), as it is a feature I would like to use right away.

Daniel

0 Kudos
MichaelBranscomb
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi,

A cluster renderer and a heatmap layer are both on the roadmap but the current timeframe for these is probably the first half of next year.

Regarding alternatives to the heatmap layer in the previous WPF API, if you are using the Windows Desktop API you will find the LocalServer includes a number Gepprocessing tools which offer various density analyses: Local Server geoprocessing tools support—ArcGIS Runtime SDK for .NET | ArcGIS for Developers

And for more information on these tools see: ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2)

I'll give some thought to your options for a cluster renderer.

Cheers

Mike

EdnaMenon
New Contributor II

Hi Michael,

Would you please confirm the exact timeline for supporting clustering? Our mobile solution really needs clustering.

Thanks,

Edna

0 Kudos
MichaelBranscomb
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Itamar Kcholi​, Joshua Tharp​, Jeff LaFrenz​,

Please can you tell me more about your requirements for clustering?

- What data sources / layers do you you have which you would like to be clustered? e.g. geodatabase? shapefile? graphics? feature service? or any/all of the above?

- How many objects approx are in your layer(s)? e.g. 1000? 10,000? 100,000? More?

- What would you like to happen when the user clicks a cluster?

- Would you expect there to be animated behavior on mouse down/click/over?

Cheers

Mike

DanielSabourin
New Contributor II

Hi Michael, I am replying on behalf of Jeff Lafrenz.

For our usage, we would be clustering Graphics or a Geodatabase. 1000 - 10,000 objects. When a user clicks on a cluster we'd expect an event with all of the objects in that cluster to be raised. For an initial release, we don't require any animation with interacting with a cluster.

Daniel

BjørnarSundsbø
Occasional Contributor

We don't have the same requirements for the number of objects, but an event with the items would be nice. Suppose this could then be put into an overlay of some such. The animation in the clusterer in the WPF SDK was not really something I found helpful. I want to be able to display additional information about the features, and maybe not always just display the objects like before.

0 Kudos
MichaelCaruana
New Contributor II

In response to Michael's request for requirements:

- All of our points will be read from the enterprise geodatabase (SQL Server), and we would like to cluster multiple layers (6-8 query/feature layers), all containing points.  We never used Flex or Silverlight here, however the examples we've seen from both are exactly what we're looking for.

- We are trying to cluster less than 50,000 points, and I see the likely number of points being something more like 500-2,000 points as we're filtering all layers.  Some of our filtering could produce points near the 10,000 range, and if we were to fumble and display all the points at once they would number just under 50,000.  Our use case is not to make the map faster by reducing points, but to make the points easy/possible to tap on by flaring them out.

- All we need to have happen, is when the user clicks(taps) a cluster of points is for them to spread/spider out.  They should then be able to tap a point to see the point's popup window.  We have tons of points that share the exact same lat/long, and we can't have points being hidden behind others eg: "oh that business operation wasn't performed because we didn't know anything was there.".

- I wouldn't mind having an optional explode/spider effect on hover as we would use it. However, I can see users with even more points finding an explode on hover feature that cannot be turned off to be problematic.

Example of the cluster flare I've been referring to: ArcGIS API for Silverlight

PS - We also have some maps in the JS API that need this too.  extras/ClusterLayer from the JS API does not do anything for us as we have tons of points that share lat/long.  If used, the users would have to tap through 20-50 popup windows before getting to the point they need.  Luckily for now we're still in our research phase and Google Maps will continue to hum along in prod.  But, very slowly ESRI maps are being deployed, and eventually we're going to run out of maps to make that don't need some sort of cluster flare.

EDIT: I believe operationally we could benefit from information gained from heatmaps as well.

MiriRevivo2
New Contributor

Hi Mike,

How are you?
I'm writing on behalf of Itamar Kcholi.

Our clustering needs are pretty straightforward:
We have several tens of thousands (< 50K) of graphics.

We would like the cluster to display the number of graphics it contains and when the user clicks a cluster in the map - to get an event with a list of Graphics in that cluster.

Thanks,

Miri.

0 Kudos