Has anyone successfully got LocationDisplay location changed events from a Xamarin Forms app while the iOS application is in the background?

11-20-2018 07:52 AM
PaulFarrow1
New Contributor II

Can anyone confirm that the locationdisplay location changed events fire consistently while the Xamarin forms application is in the background on iOS please?

Thanks

Paul

0 Kudos
2 Replies
GregDeStigter
Esri Contributor

In the current version of the API, LocationDisplay is disabled when the app enters background mode. There's an issue in our backlog to change this in future versions, but for now there's no out of the box background location updates for iOS.

As a workaround, you can always use the native CoreLocation.CLLocationManager class directly to get location updates when the app is backgrounded and switch back to LocationDisplay when it enters foreground again.

0 Kudos
PaulFarrow1
New Contributor II

Thanks Greg for the reply.  I did also have a reply to the ticket I put in with you guys, so thanks again for confirming what I have seen. 

I had thought before you suggested it to actually use the CLLocationManager when the application is in the background so that is what I am currently coding.

Thanks again for the confirmation and I look forward to the change that you have in your backlog.

Cheers

Paul

0 Kudos