Can You Change Model Colors?

10-25-2019 12:27 PM
RobBever
New Contributor III

I'm loading a 3D model from a .obj file and I'd like to color it based on various criteria. I don't believe it has any textures. How would I go about doing this? There's a Color property but it doesn't change the color of the model.

Do any of the model formats supported by the ArcGIS Runtime allow you to change their color via the Color property?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
dotMorten_esri
Esri Notable Contributor

Currently the Color property is an inherited property from the base class that has no effect on the model, as it would be relying on textures in the model instead.

I've logged an internal issue to see if it would be possible to light up this property on model symbols as well, as a quick way to "tint" a model.

0 Kudos
RobBever
New Contributor III

That sounds great, thanks. I wasn't sure if any of the loaded model types could use the Color property or not.

I want to color my untextured aircraft model based on what group it's in, and the colors are dynamic, so aside from generating a bunch of models ahead of time based on all the color presets, it would be difficult to do something like that the way it works now.

It would be great if they could be translucent as well, but just making the exterior the given color would be really helpful.

0 Kudos