best way to prepare imagery for offline use in Runtime application

01-28-2021 02:28 PM
SteveVeltman
New Contributor II

We have an windows application based on ArcGIS Runtime, and we want to include an offline imagery layer of ortho photos, covering an entire county. We have 2 sid files covering the count at 9 inch resolution, loaded into an mmpk. However, when we bring the mmpk into the runtime application, it takes much too long to load the application (5+ minutes) and navigation is painfully slow also (panning, zooming). All of the data in the application is in a State Plane coordinate system, including the sid files. Together the sid files take up about 14 GB.  The raster data must be locally available.

I am new to ArcGIS Runtime, can anyone suggest the best way to prepare the imagery for offline use in this application? I have some ideas to resample the imagery to a lower resolution, or load it into a vtpk, but I wanted to get some advice before I started.

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
MichaelBranscomb
Esri Frequent Contributor

Overall you're taking the right approach. The imagery doesn't necessarily need to be in an mmpk, although that may make it easier to transfer the file. By default we don't unpack mmpk files (the method MobileMapPackage.IsDirectReadSupportedAsync is now deprecated), but  you could test unpacking to see if it makes a difference (via UnpackAsync(String, String)).

Is the MrSID imagery spatial reference the same as the Map/MapView spatial reference? (dynamically re-projecting imagery unfortunately incurs a significant overhead).

0 Kudos
SteveVeltman
New Contributor II

Yes, I just double checked, the map data and imagery have exactly the same coordinate system (NAD_1983_StatePlane_Tennessee_FIPS_4100_Feet, WKID 2274).

0 Kudos