arcgis runtime .net create feature service for AGOL results in errors

Jump to solution
06-24-2016 06:09 AM
HasheenDeBerry
New Contributor III

Greetings,

I have been charged with the task of shuttling geospatial data from our web application to AGOL.  I would like to do this with no user intervention if possible.  I created a small application that successfully creates the feature service in AGOL, but when I try to use the layer, it results in error messages.  Documentation is scant on how to do this and I was wondering if anyone has attempted to do this.  Attached is the application.  Thanks in advance for your help.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
NikhilSharma
New Contributor II

Hi Hasheen,

We cannot publish a feature service or any kind of ArcGIS Server service using any of the runtime SDK's on Portal/Online/Server. However, the Runtime allows us to edit the already published feature services either in online or in offline mode. For the same we have a bunch of samples and documentation illustrating the same. So your web app can connect to a feature service and can edit the service based on the data provided by your application through the classes and the helper methods provided by the runtime SDK.

Regards,

Nikhil

View solution in original post

4 Replies
MichaelBranscomb
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi,

Please can you describe how this service fits into your application architecture?

The reason I ask is, at this time ArcGIS Runtime SDK for .NET cannot be used to develop server-side webservices (Using ArcGIS Runtime .NET for services).

Cheers

Mike

HasheenDeBerry
New Contributor III

What we're looking to do is a one-time creation of a feature service in an AGOL account.  Once that service is created, we will be updating the features on said service with data from our web application, through the REST API if applicable..  The goal is to do this with little to no interaction with AGOL itself, save for credential entry and authentication.  The end user can then share that geospatial information how they see fit, via AGOL.

When you create a service the conventional way, a URL is auto-generated that allows you to access that service.  The runtime API does not reveal how to generate that URL, and does not return the URL upon creation. Is there a suitable workaround?  Thank you very much for your help thus far.

0 Kudos
NikhilSharma
New Contributor II

Hi Hasheen,

We cannot publish a feature service or any kind of ArcGIS Server service using any of the runtime SDK's on Portal/Online/Server. However, the Runtime allows us to edit the already published feature services either in online or in offline mode. For the same we have a bunch of samples and documentation illustrating the same. So your web app can connect to a feature service and can edit the service based on the data provided by your application through the classes and the helper methods provided by the runtime SDK.

Regards,

Nikhil

MichaelBranscomb
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Hasheen,

Nikhil is correct that the public API does not expose the behavior to create feature services. Whilst it is technically possible to implement using the ArcGISHttpClient, you need to be careful how this fits into your WPF, Windows 8.1 or Windows Phone 8.1 client application. Note that server-side deployment of ArcGIS Runtime components is not permitted.

Cheers

Mike

0 Kudos