Windows 10 compatibility

05-18-2016 06:58 AM
RomanTrojan
New Contributor III

My project based on SDK 10.2.7 notifies compatibility warning regarding to “UAP 8.1”

Can you give me some approximate date to welcome the UWP version?

MapView.MaximumExtent overstays horizontal limitation

Zoom In/Out and vertical limitation works well, but the map panning is not limited horizontally!

Attempt to read local data from documents library folder fails!

Cache: "Error reading cache configuration!" in "Layer.InitializeAsync()"

Vector: "Unable to open the database file:" in "Geodatabase.OpenAsync(Path)" (takes a long time)

My application stores local data in application folder, but this location it is not suitable on Windows 10 mobile device such as Lumia 950, because of locked concept to manually explore the data.

Deployment on mobile device (ARM) such as Lumia 950 fails on main InitializeComponent with error:

"Cannot create instance of type 'Esri.ArcGISRuntime.Controls.MapView'"

There are any ESRI UWP apps available on the windows store yet.

I have found only this:

“ArcGIS for Windows Phone” 10.1.3, Build 1372 c 2010-2013 Esri based on SDK 10.1.1

“Survey123 for ArcGIS” for Windows Phone 8.1

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
MichaelBranscomb
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi,

1. Can you give me some approximate date to welcome the UWP version?

We plan to release a Beta version of ArcGIS Runtime SDK for .NET (Quartz) in early summer with the Final release targeting later this year. The Quartz release includes a WPF API and the much anticipated UWP API as well as an API redesign and some new functionality.

The 10.2.7 release of ArcGIS Runtime SDK for .NET certified the Windows Desktop API on Windows 10, but due to technical limitations (discussed here Can't get the ArcGIS Runtime for .Net to run on windows 10 uap) we could not certify and support our 10.2.7 Windows Store 8.1 API or 10.2.7 Windows Phone 8.1 API on Windows 10. Technically the 10.2.7 Windows Store 8.1 API may work in a Windows 10 UWP app, but it's not officially certified or supported therefore we do cannot recommend this approach except for prototyping or similar activities.

2. MapView.MaximumExtent overstays horizontal limitation: Zoom In/Out and vertical limitation works well, but the map panning is not limited horizontally!

Please can you provide a reproducer app for the issue you are seeing?

3. Attempt to read local data from documents library folder fails!

Is this a UWP app your are running on Windows 10 Mobile? As noted in #1 that's not an officially supported scenario. Does your app have read/write access to that location?

4. Deployment on mobile device (ARM) such as Lumia 950 fails on main InitializeComponent with error: "Cannot create instance of type 'Esri.ArcGISRuntime.Controls.MapView'"

I suspect this is not a supported scenario based on the above questions and responses.

5. There are any ESRI UWP apps available on the windows store yet.

Yes, check out the excellent Collector for ArcGIS app: Collector for ArcGIS – Windows Apps on Microsoft Store

Cheers

Mike

0 Kudos
RomanTrojan
New Contributor III

Hi Mike,

Thank you a lot for supporting!

1. Can you give me some approximate date to welcome the UWP version?

Thank you a lot for your answer! This is a very important expectation for me!

Meanwhile I am getting aggravating compatibility troubles in prototyping mode on desktop PC with Windows10 x64/x86 and Microsoft Visual Studio 2015 C# UWP project using ESRI reference:

Name: ArcGIS Runtime for Windows Store apps (Esri.ArcGISRuntime, Version=10.2.7)

FileType: SDK

Identity: Esri.ArcGISRuntime, Version=10.2.7

Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS SDKs\DotNet10.2.7\WindowsStore\

Resolved: True

Version: 10.2.7.0

This same deploying in develop mode to mobile device with Windows 10 Lumia 950 fails at all.

2. MapView.MaximumExtent overstays horizontal limitation: Zoom In/Out and vertical limitation works well, but the map panning is not limited horizontally!

It may be not really an issue for UWP, but I have just started with newest environment and cannot verify if there was already a bug on Windows 8.1 Desktop or Windows Phone.

All I am doing is to assign the Extent from some local or online layer to the map view:

Layer LayerInit = <SomeLayer>;

Envelope MaxExtent = LayerInit.FullExtent;

MapView.MaximumExtent = MaxExtent;

Using scrolling the map stops well on given extent limit.

Using PAN mode the map stops on top and bottom limit, but left or right acts without any barrier.

3. Attempt to read local data from documents library folder fails!

This is important issue looking forward to deploy the app on mobile devices, but meanwhile the ArcGIS methods fail also on Windows 10 desktop (x64/x86) while reading local data on accessible folders regarding to known or picked folders using Windows.Storage namespace!

ArcGISLocalTiledLayer - Layer.InitializeAsync() - “Error reading cache configuration!”

FeatureLayer - await Geodatabase.OpenAsync(Path) - “Unable to open the database file:”

The only working root location I found for local data within ArcGIS SDK is ApplicationData.Current.LocalFolder or Package.Current.InstalledLocation, so my prototyping evaluation may continue using application location e.g.:

C:\Users\*\AppData\Local\Packages\*_*\LocalState\*

4. Deployment on mobile device (ARM) such as Lumia 950 fails on main InitializeComponent with error: "Cannot create instance of type 'Esri.ArcGISRuntime.Controls.MapView'"

Answered, thank you – await UWP SDK (Quartz)

5. There are any ESRI UWP apps available on the windows store for windows 10 mobile devices supporting ARM type processors yet.

Title (5) got corrected meaning.

No, I cannot find “Collector for ArcGIS app” on Lumia 950 device (Windows 10 mobile)

Best regards, Roman

0 Kudos