Why are dynamic workspace shapefile subdivisions gray?

05-20-2019 08:39 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi -

I'm confused by the Dynamic Workspace Shapefile sample with 100.5

When I pick the subdivisions.shp, the code assigns a simplerenderer based on a red simplelinesymbol.

However, I see gray filled polygons.  Is this a bug?

Thanks, Kirk

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Nicholas-Furness
Esri Regular Contributor

It looks like the shapefile you're using is a Polygon shapefile, but you're providing a Line symbol.

Try setting a SimpleFilleSymbol instead. If you just want an outline, use a SimpleFillSymbol and set its Outline to that SimpleLineSymbol you've got, then set the SimpleFillSymbol style to .Null.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Nicholas -

This code is from the sample, unaltered.  I was hoping the sample shows that there's a default renderer being applied behind the scenes (like the way arcobjects does it), and that providing an inappropriate renderer (like a simplerenderer with a linesymbol for a polygon layer) would cause it to revert to the default renderer.

However, if I comment out the line where the _shapefileSublayer.Renderer is being set, nothing in the layer gets displayed. So I guess there's no default, so we're required to set an appropriate renderer, even though this example shows an inappropriate one might still draw something.

Is there a general way (for both shapefiles and enterprise featureclasses) to determine the geometrytype of  a TableSublayerSource so that I can create an appropriate renderer?

Thanks,

Kirk

0 Kudos
Nicholas-Furness
Esri Regular Contributor

Hey Kirk.

Granted I'm not familiar with the Local Server samples (I'm an iOS Runtime kind of guy and we don't have Local Server) so I could be mistaken, but it looks like a bug in the sample, tbh. I imagine the sample is opening a shapefile, and you picked one with polygons in it. If you try to render a polygon class with a line symbol, you'll likely not see what you want.

See this sample which is rendering the same Subdivisions shapefile, albeit without Local Server in the mix.

But again, I could be wrong. Do try setting up the _shapefileSublayer.Renderer with a polygon symbol as per the other sample and see if that works. But it looks like either the sample or the SDK is broken.

Nick.

0 Kudos
MichaelBranscomb
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Kirk,

The sample assumes you're using the sample data that's associated with that sample - it's just showing a discreet workflow.

To make the workflow more generic, you could take a look at the `ArcGISSublayer.MapServiceSublayerInfo` Property and create some conditional logic based on the `ArcGISMapServiceSublayerInfo.GeometryType`.

I will also say the recommended option for accessing Shapefiles is to use ArcGIS Runtime directly rather than go via the Local Server component.

Cheers

Mike

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Michael -

After I get this working, I intend to generalize it to work with EnterpriseWorkspace too.  I'm trying to make a workaround for BUG-000120203

So to get the geometrytype, it looks like I need to call LoadAsync on the sublayer first.

So I changed this code in the sample:

To this:

... and get the Illegal state error.

Am I doing something wrong?

I'm assuming it would get the same error with an SDE workspace too, but will try to confirm.

Also, if I just make a single change to the sample (without changing anything else) I see that LoadStatusChanged never fires.  Shouldn't we expect this to fire?

Thanks, Kirk

0 Kudos