Which .net sdk to use? Rewriting VBA code using Arcmap add-ins, VS2013, ARCGIS 10.3.

Jump to solution
06-29-2015 07:48 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I am rewriting vba and will be creating ArcMap 10.3 addins using windows forms. Would I install the .NET runtime SDK for windows?  I have already installed the "ArcObjects sdk for Microsolft .NET Framwork from the EDN for ArcGIS version 10.3.  Is this same as runtime .NET sdk available on on ArcGIS for developers site and does it matter which I use?  I am not creating a WPF app.

Newbie, any input is appreciated.  Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JensBuchta
Occasional Contributor

The ArcGIS Runtime SDK for .NET and the ArcObjects SDK for .NET are totally different things.

If you want to extent ArcMap in any way, ArcObjects is your choice. Technically, ArcObjects is a COM library with a .NET layer on top to write extensions (or Add-Ins) in .NET.

On the other hand, ArcGIS Runtime SDK for .NET is a complete rewrite to build own standalone applications, mostly to interact with ArcGIS Online or Portal for ArcGIS.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

I think if you are just making an addin then you need only install the ArcObjects sdk for Microsolft .NET Framwork which comes on the install DVD. I have 10.3, that's what I installed and I am using Visual Studio 2012 ​not​ 2013.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Duncan, Thank you very much for your input.

0 Kudos
KenBuja
MVP Esteemed Contributor

However, ArcGIS 10.3 does support Visual Studios 2013

ArcObjects SDK 10.3.x system requirements—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you for your input Ken, much appreciated.  Yes, I read all documentation i think.  Still trying to understand the difference if any in the sdk available on download page for 10.3  v3 (online - using account download page) - and the sdk "runtime" for desktop.

0 Kudos
JensBuchta
Occasional Contributor

The ArcGIS Runtime SDK for .NET and the ArcObjects SDK for .NET are totally different things.

If you want to extent ArcMap in any way, ArcObjects is your choice. Technically, ArcObjects is a COM library with a .NET layer on top to write extensions (or Add-Ins) in .NET.

On the other hand, ArcGIS Runtime SDK for .NET is a complete rewrite to build own standalone applications, mostly to interact with ArcGIS Online or Portal for ArcGIS.

ChrisSergent
Regular Contributor III

Basically you use ArcObjects to extend ArcGIS Desktop and you use ArcGIS Runtime SDK if you want to create your own desktop mapping application. So, what you have installed is the SDK for extending ArcGIS Desktop. Since you were using VBA, that should be exactly what you need as VBA requires a host.

For help with Add-ins, you can check this out: ArcObjects Help for .NET developers

If you would like to create a custom desktop application outside of ArcGIS, you may want to start here: ArcGIS Runtime SDK for .Net | ArcGIS for Developers