Visual Studio Fatal signal 11 (SIGSEGV)

12-13-2017 10:51 AM
GregorySayre
New Contributor II

My Visual Studio Xamarin app worked fine yesterday, but today I'm getting an error Fatal signal 11 (SIGSEGV), code 1, fault addr 0x0 in tid 26528 (GLThread 1038) on android devices when I try to view the map.  

Oddly enough, if I start a brand new ArcGIS runtime App (Xamarin.Forms) in Visual Studio, I also get the same error today when I try to view the map.   

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
NathanCastle1
Esri Contributor

Can you please share some more information so that we can try to reproduce?

• ArcGIS Runtime version
  • Visual Studio platform and version
  • Xamarin version
  • Android device/emulator(s) and version(s)
0 Kudos
GregorySayre
New Contributor II

Thanks for the reply Nathan!

• ArcGIS Runtime v100.1.0
  • Visual Studio Professional 2017 for windows
  • Xamarin 4.7.10.22 (fe36bec)
    • Xamarain.Android SDK 8.0.0.33 (HEAD/7a6a056e8)
  • Android Google Pixel running Android 8.1 and another Android Google Pixel running 8.0
0 Kudos
NathanCastle1
Esri Contributor

I can reproduce on a device running Android 8.0, although with slightly different Xamarin versions. 

Did you recently upgrade those devices to Android 8/8.1? Are you experiencing this with Forms only, or both Forms and native Android?

0 Kudos
GregorySayre
New Contributor II

Thanks again Nathan.   Did you say you CAN reproduce the error I'm getting?
We have two Google Pixels that were both running Android 8 and experienced this problem.   We updated one of them to Android 8.1, but the error still occurred.

0 Kudos
NathanCastle1
Esri Contributor

Yes, I was able to confirm. I also replied at the top level with a potential workaround. I tested on my device and it worked, but I want to confirm that it solves your problem. I'll keep investigating if it doesn't. 

0 Kudos
NathanCastle1
Esri Contributor

There is a known issue that was discovered in the development of the next Runtime version. It is related to Xamarin bug 60236 – Cannot deploy to Android Oreo (Failure [INSTALL_FAILED_ALREADY_EXISTS: Attempt to re-install...

It appears Xamarin has fixed the issue internally, but it has yet to be widely distributed.

We've identified that the workaround is to disable 'Use Fast Deployment (debug mode only)' in the Android project settings. 

Can you please try this and let me know if it solves the problem?

[edit: Only 'Fast Deployment' needs to be disabled, 'Shared Runtime' can stay on]

dotMorten_esri
Esri Notable Contributor

Two details to add:

1. This only seems to be affecting Android 8+

2. When you make the change to turn off the shared runtime, make sure you completely uninstall the app before re-deploying, or you'll still experience the issue.

GregorySayre
New Contributor II

Morten and Nathan, thank you both so much!

Unchecking 'Use Shared Runtime' and 'Use Fast Deployment (debug mode only)' has brought my map back.

I'm marking you both as helpful and please let me know if I can give you guys a recommendation for awesome technical support!  
: )

0 Kudos