Visual Studio 2017?

Jump to solution
04-24-2017 02:56 PM
FredSpataro
Occasional Contributor III

Hi All, 

What's the status of using VS2017 with ArcGIS Runtime SDK for .NET?  When I try to run the installer, i get an error message about it being incompatible.  Is VS2015, the best version to use? 

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RichZwaap

Visual Studio 2017 was released after the most recent version of the ArcGIS Runtime SDK for .NET, so it is not yet officially supported, and the VSIX installer does not yet recognize it.  Please see this help topic for information about the supported IDEs for the various SDK platforms.

While the VSIX installer does not recognize Visual Studio 2017, you can still use the SDK within 2017 by referencing the NuGet packages directly.  Although not officially supported, we've met with success when trying this internally.  For guidance regarding how to reference the SDK via NuGet, see the section Referencing online ArcGIS Runtime SDK NuGet packages in this document.

We of course intend to support Visual Studio 2017 in our forthcoming release.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

The system requirements are very clear: VS 2013 and 2015 are supported + .NET 3.5. I would think using 2015 would be the wisest choice for a new project as it is the version that will be supported longer by Microsoft.

ArcObjects SDK 10.5 system requirements—System Requirements | ArcGIS Desktop 

0 Kudos
RichZwaap

Visual Studio 2017 was released after the most recent version of the ArcGIS Runtime SDK for .NET, so it is not yet officially supported, and the VSIX installer does not yet recognize it.  Please see this help topic for information about the supported IDEs for the various SDK platforms.

While the VSIX installer does not recognize Visual Studio 2017, you can still use the SDK within 2017 by referencing the NuGet packages directly.  Although not officially supported, we've met with success when trying this internally.  For guidance regarding how to reference the SDK via NuGet, see the section Referencing online ArcGIS Runtime SDK NuGet packages in this document.

We of course intend to support Visual Studio 2017 in our forthcoming release.

curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

The ArcGIS Pro 2.0 release (now available for early adopter testing) has support for Visual Studio 2017.

0 Kudos
FredSpataro

Hi Curtis,

Thanks for the reply, but I'm specifically interested in the 'Runtime' SDK not the 'ArcObjects' or 'Pro' SDKs.  I've noticed a number of blogs/tweets on Runtime examples that appear to be using 2017 features so it must be via the NuGet package route Rich described.