Setting values to Geometry Attributes ZMin and ZMax doesn't update Air Corridor symbol

Jump to solution
02-01-2021 09:32 AM
LewisSmith
New Contributor II

I am using 100.6 with .NET framework 4.6.2 and the mil2525c style catalog.

I have created an air corridor symbol using the dictionary renderer, and it is displaying correctly when no amplifiers have been set.

By opening the stylx file I am using and looking up the associated label expressions, it shows that it should be using 5 text amplifiers, including zmin and zmax.

This is consistent with the standard (and there is a space for them) but of the 5, 2 don't cause the appearance to update with the added text: Zmin and Zmax, which are presumably positions 'X' and 'X1' in the standard.

I also tried setting 'x' and 'x1', but they didn't work either.

Is this a bug with the dictionary renderer, or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LewisSmith
New Contributor II

I updated the SDK and it made no difference, but I noticed that there are per-version stylx files too, so I downloaded the latest one and it turns out it's completely different to the version we've had for a while. The old one was loaded with an method marked as obsolete, which I guess was done because the database format is differnet and needs loading differently, but it wasn't clear that the solution was to update the file.

I looked up the Air Corridor symbol and it lists `z` and `z2` for the two altitude amplifiers in this version, which matches the reference (here) and seems to work.

One significant thing I have noticed is that the scale of the text portion of symbols seems to be tiny now and rotated with the shape (so not easily readable), which was not the case before. I have access to the width and size properties, which seem to affect the size of the text as well as the shape. Is there a way to control these independently?

Thanks

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
PreetiMaske
Esri Contributor

Hello Lewis,

Can you please give it a try with release 100.10? 

I also suggest adding some screenshots to explain how it is expected to appear vs how it is currently rendering for you.

Thanks
Preeti

0 Kudos
LewisSmith
New Contributor II

I updated the SDK and it made no difference, but I noticed that there are per-version stylx files too, so I downloaded the latest one and it turns out it's completely different to the version we've had for a while. The old one was loaded with an method marked as obsolete, which I guess was done because the database format is differnet and needs loading differently, but it wasn't clear that the solution was to update the file.

I looked up the Air Corridor symbol and it lists `z` and `z2` for the two altitude amplifiers in this version, which matches the reference (here) and seems to work.

One significant thing I have noticed is that the scale of the text portion of symbols seems to be tiny now and rotated with the shape (so not easily readable), which was not the case before. I have access to the width and size properties, which seem to affect the size of the text as well as the shape. Is there a way to control these independently?

Thanks

0 Kudos
PreetiMaske
Esri Contributor

Lewis, I am not sure if for older an version on stylx file mappings were incorrect at some point. That would be something to check with ArcGIS pro team.
What version of ArcGIS Pro do you have? How does the symbol for your data renders in ArcGIS Pro when you map to X and X1 vs Z and Z2? 

I tried this in ArcGIS Pro 2.7 and as you can see in the image attached altitude fields are mapped to z and z2. I think you mentioned that mapping to z and z2 works correctly . If that's the case then I guess it would be right fields to map zmin and zmax to z and z2.

PreetiMaske_0-1612217967476.png

0 Kudos
LewisSmith
New Contributor II

I'm using the SDK, not ArcGIS Pro (hence posting in this area of the forum).

Yes, those names are correct, but they must have changed from version 10.2.x to version 100.x, unless they didn't work prior to that.

If you have any more info regarding the scale/orientation of the composite labels, please let me know.

Thanks

0 Kudos
PreetiMaske
Esri Contributor

>I'm using the SDK, not ArcGIS Pro (hence posting in this area of the forum).
No problem at all in posting here Lewis. My reason behind asking you to check in ArcGIS Pro is because ArcGIS Runtime SDK is essentially using the same rule engine. So if there were issues in rule engine or mappings etc to begin with you will see problems reflect in SDK as well. But, if you find differences between ArcGIS pro rendering and SDK rendering for same data , using same dictionary and same mappings etc. and SDK rendering seems incorrect then there is definitely a problem.

> If you have any more info regarding the scale/orientation of the composite labels, please let me know.

More than happy to help but can you please share some screen shots of what you are seeing. It is difficult to assess the problem without seeing any image or repro code.

0 Kudos