Non-editable vector data to offline use?

Jump to solution
12-03-2014 01:34 AM
TuukkaJärvinen
New Contributor III

Hello, I would like to make an application to work offline. I have ArcGIS Server Services with sync capabilities and I'm able to create a replica for all the data that I need to edit offline and it's working great. I also have background map service that I can export tiles from and make a tile package for offline use. However, I'm wondering what is the best practice to get vector data from outside source to work offline. For example, I'm using property register data from a service that I'm not managing and not able to turn sync capability on. I don't need to be able to edit this data and in my understanding the sync is meant to be used only for data that needs to be edited. Should I use map packages in this case? From documentation I understood that I can create LocalMapService from map package in Runtime and add layers from it to my MapView, but can I perform Identify and Query task on these layers? Or is there some better way of doing this?

Regards,

Tuukka Järvinen

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AnttiKajanus1
Occasional Contributor III

Hey Tuukka,

Interesting scenario but lets see if I understood your case correctly. Basically you have some external feature service that you are reading (and you dont have control to it's capabilities) and want to get that offline for reading and querying.

How often you are going to update that data and what kind of workflow is used (or planned to use?)

Local geodatabases works very well when that package is used to read/query without any editing. Sync service supports updates from service to client while no edits are updated back too but it seems that you cannot use that in this case since it needs sync capability. If you create any runtime content (local geodatabases) using ArcMap, at the moment they are read-only. If you just can use geodatabase (over mpk) then that would be better choice.

I'm gonna have a go for this later today.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
AnttiKajanus1

Hey Tuukka,

Interesting scenario but lets see if I understood your case correctly. Basically you have some external feature service that you are reading (and you dont have control to it's capabilities) and want to get that offline for reading and querying.

How often you are going to update that data and what kind of workflow is used (or planned to use?)

Local geodatabases works very well when that package is used to read/query without any editing. Sync service supports updates from service to client while no edits are updated back too but it seems that you cannot use that in this case since it needs sync capability. If you create any runtime content (local geodatabases) using ArcMap, at the moment they are read-only. If you just can use geodatabase (over mpk) then that would be better choice.

I'm gonna have a go for this later today.

dotMorten_esri
Esri Notable Contributor

You don't mention how you have access to the external data. If you can get the feature data into ArcMap or ArcGIS Pro, you can export the feature data to an ArcGIS Runtime Geodatabase and open it like you would open the sync-enabled geodatabase (however note that these databases are read-only and cannot be edited).

TuukkaJärvinen
New Contributor III

Thanks for the replies. I have access to feature data so I'm able to create a Runtime Geodatabase and after little bit of testing I think it can be used in this case. Is there any way to create these read-only Runtime Geodatabases programmatically?

0 Kudos
AnttiKajanus1

You can use Geoprosessing tools to create geodatabases.

0 Kudos
TuukkaJärvinen
New Contributor III

Ok, thanks!

0 Kudos