No MSD file found in package

Jump to solution
06-01-2016 10:34 AM
ChristinaKochan1
Occasional Contributor

I created a geoprocessing package from the Feature Class to Geodatabase tool using ArcMap 10.3.1. I checked the Support ArcGIS Runtime box in the Share As Geoprocessing Package dialog. I've done this for at least a dozen other tools without issue. This one is listed in the supported list here, so I don't know why it isn't working: Local Server geoprocessing tools support—ArcGIS Runtime SDK for .NET | ArcGIS for Developers

When I start the job using await LocalGeoprocessingService.StartAsync(definition.Path, GeoprocessingServiceType.SubmitJobWithMapServerResult, 10000);

I get the following error: Error code '500' : 'Failed to create service featureclasstogdb GPServer. No MSD file found in package. Cannot create a GP MapServer.'

What else causes this error other than forgetting to check the Runtime support box?

(I did try running with SubmitJob without the server result, which at least succeeds in the StartAsync call, but then the tool fails with no error information after actually submitting the job.)

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ChristinaKochan1
Occasional Contributor

Turns out there was an error in 10.3.1 in that it was not creating Geoprocessing Packages correctly. I went back to 10.2.2 Desktop and the package was created with no problem. It only took me 2 weeks of banging my head against a wall to finally get to the point where I tried installing an older version to see if that would fix it, and after that did I find the patch.

In case anyone else ever comes across this issue, here's the patch to fix this bug: ArcGIS 10.3.1 for Desktop Package Map For ArcGIS Runtime Patch

View solution in original post

9 Replies
ChristinaKochan1
Occasional Contributor

What Desktop license is needed to create a Runtime-enabled GPK using the Feature Class to Geodatabase tool? When I created these in the past I was using a concurrent Advanced license, but now I am using a single-use Basic license. Could that be the problem?

0 Kudos
ChristinaKochan1
Occasional Contributor

Turns out there was an error in 10.3.1 in that it was not creating Geoprocessing Packages correctly. I went back to 10.2.2 Desktop and the package was created with no problem. It only took me 2 weeks of banging my head against a wall to finally get to the point where I tried installing an older version to see if that would fix it, and after that did I find the patch.

In case anyone else ever comes across this issue, here's the patch to fix this bug: ArcGIS 10.3.1 for Desktop Package Map For ArcGIS Runtime Patch

LukeCatania
New Contributor III

I had this same issue for one of my models that used the Observer Points Tool, but not for a model that used the Solve Tool.  I installed the patch and it did not fix my issue with my model that used the Observer Points Tool.

I get the error in my runtime app:

Error Starting GP Service

error message: Failed to create service OVPT.gpk GPServer. No MSD file found in package. Cannot create a GP MapServer.

0 Kudos
ChristinaKochan1
Occasional Contributor

Did you try to just go back to 10.2.2? That is what ultimately worked for me.

0 Kudos
LukeCatania
New Contributor III

Tried 10.2.2 as well as the latest 10.4.1.  Still have the issue and the fact that I do not get it with all my models must indicate that maybe there is something in my model that is causing the issue.

0 Kudos
MichaelBranscomb
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi,

10.2.1 and 10.2.2 should be fine. There was a bug in 10.3 and 10.3.1 that requires the patch: ArcGIS 10.3.1 for Desktop Package Map For ArcGIS Runtime Patch (also addresses GPK packaging).

As per the comment below, MSDs are only created under certain conditions - essentially if the model/script uses/creates a layer. And should not be required to start the Local GP Service unless you're starting it as SubmitJobWithMapService Result.

Unfortunately, packages (.MPK, .GPK) created with 10.4.1 are not currently supported for use with ArcGIS Runtime. The next major release of ArcGIS Runtime will support 10.4.1. At that time we'll be publishing documentation to cover the exact versions of ArcGIS Desktop supported with the versions of ArcGIS Runtime.

Cheers

Mike

ChristinaKochan1
Occasional Contributor

If in ArcMap 10.4.1 we run the Package Map geoprocessing tool with a previous version checked, will that still work with current Runtime applications?

0 Kudos
MichaelBranscomb
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Luke,

What type of Local GP Service are you trying to start? e.g. (GeoprocessingServiceType.SubmitJobWithMapServerResult)

A MSD is not a hard requirement for starting a Local GP Service, but it is required under some conditions depending on how your Model is created, for example if a tool references a layer in a map. In that case ArcMap will create one for your GP package and it will be required to start the service. Otherwise the requirement is the <toolbox>_sd file in your GP package, which is effectively the GP Service definition. Sounds like there's a possible bug here if it's not creating an MSD but one is expected. Can you share your GP Model? And the code which manages the local service.

Cheers

Mike

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hello,

Check your Geoprocessing tool have correct ArcGIS Server/desktop supported statements.

Sometimes large set of connection used in Model or tool throw error while publishing GP  services.

Please check and update your enviroment with lalatestatches like publishing and others.

Thanks.