Map crashes when loaded with message "has exited with code -529697949 (0xe06d7363) 'Microsoft C Exception'." (Repro sample included)

Jump to solution
05-29-2018 04:35 PM
MarkCollins
Occasional Contributor

In our application we are experiencing crashes, freezes, and failure to load the basemaps when the map control is loaded/unloaded multiple times during the maps lifecycle.  (Loading/unloading of a control may happen normally in WPF for many reasons, the most common is probably if the control is inside a TabControl. ) 

The only error message we are receiving is "The program '[24076] MyApp.exe' has exited with code -529697949 (0xe06d7363) 'Microsoft C++ Exception'." in the output window.

I've attached a sample application that demonstrations the issue. The sample has two methods to reproduce the issue:

1) Automatic -  It will automate the switching of tabs/adding & removing graphics. This has consistently reproduced the issue on 3 separate dev enviroments (win 10 x64). It takes approx 20 seconds to execute.

2) Manual - This will reproduce the issue on 2 out 3 of our dev enviroments (all win 10 x64). Steps included in the sample.

The sample also includes a flag called m_EnableMitigation which will activate code that helps mitigate the issue by removing and re-adding graphics layers to the map when it is loaded. We've called this a mitigation rather than a work around because it does not work 100% of the time. Its still possible to cause the issue if the control is loaded/unload very quickly by manually switching tabs or programmatically. 

I think our issue may possibly be related to this post as well: https://community.esri.com/message/763969-re-application-crash-frequent-win32-exceptions-in-1002?com... 

Please let me know if there is anyway to fix this issue. We will not be able to ship our application with this bug the way it is. 

Thanks,

Mark

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
GregDeStigter
Esri Contributor

Mark Collins‌ I ran your reproducer app (thanks for the detailed sample) and was able to reproduce the crash in 100.2.x. We encountered similar problems previously and added a fix to the next version of the Runtime API (v100.3). Running your reproducer referencing the pre-released 100.3 Runtime confirmed that the issue is fixed. The v100.3 release is in the certification stage so it should be out very soon.

As you found, there's really no great workaround for this problem. The workaround you mentioned is what I would have suggested but you may have to add some delays to make sure the map is unloaded / reloaded before switching tabs.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
GregDeStigter
Esri Contributor

Mark Collins‌ I ran your reproducer app (thanks for the detailed sample) and was able to reproduce the crash in 100.2.x. We encountered similar problems previously and added a fix to the next version of the Runtime API (v100.3). Running your reproducer referencing the pre-released 100.3 Runtime confirmed that the issue is fixed. The v100.3 release is in the certification stage so it should be out very soon.

As you found, there's really no great workaround for this problem. The workaround you mentioned is what I would have suggested but you may have to add some delays to make sure the map is unloaded / reloaded before switching tabs.

MarkCollins
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for trying the sample and verifying this is fixed in the up coming version. 

0 Kudos