Local Tiled Layer and Shapefile Feature Layer

Jump to solution
02-05-2016 10:17 AM
JoeMadrigal
New Contributor III

I'm having a problem displaying a shapefile over a Local Tiled Layer.  I first add the tpk to the map and then the Shapefile, and the shapefile doesn't show up.  Is it possible to have a local tiled layer and an overlapping shapefile?  Shapefile shows up fine by itself, but not if I display the tpk underneath first.

Thanks,

Joe

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dotMorten_esri
Esri Notable Contributor

You are correct that this is spatial reference related. Shapefiles doesn't automatically reproject. You should ensure your map is using the spatial reference that your shapefiles are in. Since your TPK is probably the first layer and forces webmercator on the mapview, that will essentially mean the shapefile layer won't render.

You should instead use a basemap with the correct spatial reference or reproject your shapefiles prior to using them in the runtime.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
JoeMadrigal
New Contributor III

I'm guessing its something to do about spatial reference.  My base layer tpk or the World_Street_map layer are in WKID 102100 (web mercator aux sphere) while my shapefile is in a state plane coordinate system (102720).  How can I get my shapefile to overlap?  Do I set the map spatial ref to my shapefiles spatial ref?  Does the mapview get set automatically when its map's spatial reference change?

Not sure why this is being difficult.

Joe

0 Kudos
dotMorten_esri
Esri Notable Contributor

You are correct that this is spatial reference related. Shapefiles doesn't automatically reproject. You should ensure your map is using the spatial reference that your shapefiles are in. Since your TPK is probably the first layer and forces webmercator on the mapview, that will essentially mean the shapefile layer won't render.

You should instead use a basemap with the correct spatial reference or reproject your shapefiles prior to using them in the runtime.

JoeMadrigal
New Contributor III

Thanks Morten for the advise.  After re-projecting my shapefile to my TPK, it does show up.  I'm an Engine guy learning the Runtime, so some things are different.  Since I lot of my data is in the TPK I may choose that projection although I would like to use a local state plane or UTM coord system, but TPK scheme forces me to use the web Mercator standard.

0 Kudos
dotMorten_esri
Esri Notable Contributor

You should be able to create TPKs in any projection you want.

0 Kudos
JoeMadrigal
New Contributor III

Wait, I didn't see any options in ArcMap tile creator to select a different projection.  How do you do that?

0 Kudos
HuyHo
by
Occasional Contributor

Hi Joe,

There is a "Generate Tile Cache Tiling Scheme" tool in ArcMap that will allow you to create a tiling scheme and specify the output projection.  Once the tiling scheme is created, either the "ManageTile Cache" tool or the Share As > Tile Package dialog will have an option for you to select your tiling scheme.

0 Kudos
JoeMadrigal
New Contributor III

Thanks Morten, I did not see the output projection option, but I didn't read the documentation.  I'll read the help on this and figure it out.

Thanks again,

Joe

0 Kudos