Local Geodatabases

Jump to solution
10-23-2014 02:14 PM
KeithGemeinhart1
New Contributor III

A couple of questions regarding local geodatabase ... Can I access a .gdb directly (e.g. Geodatabase.OpenAsync)  or do I need to package for runtime via ArcMap to get a .geodatabase file? Also, is access to the .geodatabase file read-only or can I make edits?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dotMorten_esri
Esri Notable Contributor

The geodatabases used but Runtime are "Runtime Geodatabases" and have to be authored in ArcMap or Pro. So yes you will need to package it first.

Geodatabases created with the sync task against an ArcGIS Server feature service supports editing and syncing with the server - however note that this requires Standard licensing - You can only view/read the geodatabase with basic license.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
dotMorten_esri
Esri Notable Contributor

The geodatabases used but Runtime are "Runtime Geodatabases" and have to be authored in ArcMap or Pro. So yes you will need to package it first.

Geodatabases created with the sync task against an ArcGIS Server feature service supports editing and syncing with the server - however note that this requires Standard licensing - You can only view/read the geodatabase with basic license.

0 Kudos
KeithGemeinhart1
New Contributor III

We're not using Server, but we do have Standard licensing. Is that the only way to get an editable geodatabase?

0 Kudos
dotMorten_esri
Esri Notable Contributor

At this point in time, yes.

0 Kudos
MichaelBranscomb
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Keith,

Currently runtime geodatabases (*.geodatabase files) are read/write when extracted from an ArcGIS Server feature service or a hosted feature service and read-only when created via the "Create Runtime Content" tool in ArcGIS Desktop. On the future roadmap is a checkout/checkin style workflow for runtime geodatabases from ArcGIS Desktop.

Without ArcGIS Server or a hosted service you can still support offline editing workflows via the LocalServer but I would recommend, if possible, pursuing the above runtime geodatabase route first. The LocalServer approach requires you to create a Map Package with ArcGIS Desktop.

Cheers

Mike

KeithGemeinhart1
New Contributor III

Thanks for the replies Michael and Morten. We are currently using the map package approach with WPF 10.1.1, and I was investigating impact and changes needed to move to .NET 10.2.4. I have the server software, but it's not installed. I will investigate that route sometime soon because the packages can be a little cumbersome at times.

Is there a ballpark timeframe for runtime geodbs from desktop? Next release, next quarter, next year?

Thanks!