Is it possible to use this SDK to create my own RESTFUL service in order to manipulate with ArcGIS feature layer via .NET MVC?

03-16-2017 07:25 PM
Joo_PinTan
New Contributor III

Is it possible to use this Runtime .NET SDK to create my own RESTFUL service in order to manipulate with ArcGIS feature layer via .NET MVC?
Which to mean that I the MVC controller I need to use the ArcGIS API to some how access ArcGIS server and edit the data.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
dotMorten_esri
Esri Notable Contributor

No. The license excludes use in a server context.

Having said that, ArcGIS Server is already a fully documented restful service, and you could just call directly to it (it's the same interface Runtime uses)

0 Kudos
Joo_PinTan
New Contributor III

Hmm.. noted.

Just another check, since it is not possible using Runtime .NET SDK but how come it is possible for Runtime Java SDK?

For example, IBM Maximo Spatial Asset Management. It is a web application and server end is run in Java. It somehow seems able to use the Java API to modify the GIS data. Isn't it their Java SDK is using in server?

0 Kudos
dotMorten_esri
Esri Notable Contributor

I don't know the IBM System specifics, but ArcGIS Server is built on Java, but is not using the Runtime.

The runtime license for .NET is the same one used by Java, QT, iOS, Android etc, so there's no difference there.

0 Kudos
Joo_PinTan
New Contributor III

So the only solution for my problem is calling ArcGIS REST from my server? Or is there any other option?

0 Kudos
dotMorten_esri
Esri Notable Contributor

I'm curios why you need to create your own restful service against arcgis server, when it already ships with one built-in?

0 Kudos
Joo_PinTan
New Contributor III

This is my situation. I got a Hadoop datastore which stored all my archived data and I need to provide a playback function to read from Hadoop and display on the map. So my approach is I will provide a REST service (C#.NET MVC) for the user to send a request with parameters like start date and end date. After which, the REST service will base on the parameter that user provided and get the archived data from Hadoop and write it into ArcGIS time aware feature layer for playback.

So now I am a bit lost about how to write the archived data from Hadoop to ArcGIS database.

0 Kudos