How to optimize GeoEvent and the runtime sdk?

10-29-2016 08:19 AM
JeffreyCusato
New Contributor

I am constructing a windows dashboard using the runtime sdk showing real-time values by leveraging the geoevent extension. My current process of updating features is slow and expensive.

The geoevent extension is logging captured values to a featurelayer. From the desktop client, I am polling the featurelayer for updates. Based on a little research, it looks like there is a streaming capability via websockets but it looks like it is only support for the javascript API. A web browser is unfortunately not an option for my client.

Is there something that can be done between the type of layers saved and what the runtime engine can do?

I am debating writing a lot of custom capability using SignalR in order to fix this issue but I would rather not if I could help it.

Thanks.

#iot#geoevent extension#.net runtime

0 Kudos
2 Replies
MichaelBranscomb
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi,

A proper 'StreamLayer' is on the roadmap for a future release of ArcGIS Runtime SDK for .NET. Until then the FeatureLayer or GraphicsOverlay are your best options in the range of layer types in the current API. 

I'll ask around to see if anyone has tried to implement something already using the public API.

Cheers

Mike

0 Kudos
JeffreyCusato
New Contributor

Thanks Mike. I haven't yet updated my dashboard to the Quartz API although I am running Quartz with Xamarin for mobile deployment. I figure i'll be on quartz by the time I finish up deployment and i'm trying to work through my best course of action on the desktop end.

Thanks!

0 Kudos