How do you feel about ArcGIS Runtime .Net with Xamarin

06-27-2017 10:10 AM
DonKang
New Contributor III

I have a new project coming up and requirements lead me to consider mobile app option.

I am coming from Javascript API side and have no prior knowledge developing any mobile app.

Xamarin option looks nice fit because I am very familiar with C#.

I also like the fact that you can deploy to multiple devices.

If I may, I just wanted get your opinions, comments, experiences using ArcGIS Runtime with Xamarin.

Thanks for your time.

Don

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ChadYoder1
Occasional Contributor II

If you need a mobile solution, especially for multiple platforms, and you are familiar with C#, I think you'll find the Xamarin API a good fit for your project.  I've been working with it since the early adopter program and it has been quite easy to work with, and it's nice to see the continued increase in the functionality that it includes (v100.1 just released).

Development is made easy, but don't let that fool you into believing everything about deploying a mobile solution is easy, especially if you want to target multiple platforms. 

Go for it, I think you'll enjoy it.  Hit up the forums again if you have questions or trouble when you get going..

0 Kudos
DonKang
New Contributor III

Thanks for your comments.

What xamarin option do you use? Xamarin Forms, IOS or Android?

I am considering Forms option but since I might not have Mac available to me anytime soon, I am also considering just use Android option only.

thanks

Don

0 Kudos
ChadYoder1
Occasional Contributor II

To use the Runtime SDK, you'll need to use the Forms option.  I use a Mac, but have done work on UWP using Windows / Visual Studio.

0 Kudos