How do I get the elevation of a given lat / lon?

Jump to solution
09-24-2015 03:59 PM
meme2
by
New Contributor II

I have a SceneView and it's configured to use the Terrain3D ServiceElevationSource.  Is there any way to use this to get the elevation of a specific lat / lon?

(Seems like it should be possible because when I tap on the SceneView, it gives me the elevation for that point.  However, I'm looking for a programmatic way - as in not having to go through the UI.)

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MichaelBranscomb
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi,

If you're using a ServiceElevationSource then you're taking the correct approach by using the SceneViewTapped event because the application only has the rendered elevation at that time. You might try looking at the Identify operation on that service to see if it supports your requirement: ArcGIS REST API - ArcGIS Services - Identify (Image Service).

If you have a FileElevationsource then you can use the high performance FileElevationSource.GetElevationAsync Method which will return the best elevation value for that location from the underlying data. This only works against a file elevation source because of the need for a very rapid response e.g. elevation under the cursor on mouse move.

Cheers

Mike

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
MichaelBranscomb
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi,

If you're using a ServiceElevationSource then you're taking the correct approach by using the SceneViewTapped event because the application only has the rendered elevation at that time. You might try looking at the Identify operation on that service to see if it supports your requirement: ArcGIS REST API - ArcGIS Services - Identify (Image Service).

If you have a FileElevationsource then you can use the high performance FileElevationSource.GetElevationAsync Method which will return the best elevation value for that location from the underlying data. This only works against a file elevation source because of the need for a very rapid response e.g. elevation under the cursor on mouse move.

Cheers

Mike

0 Kudos