Desktop Runtime Deployment - LocalServer start failed executable not found

06-05-2018 04:51 AM
RobertHaines
New Contributor

I'm looking to deploy our desktop application which includes a project that uses the .Net WPF controls.

Previously this used version 10.2.5 where we simply copied the appropriate files (arcgisruntime10.2.5 with subfolders client32, LocalServer32 and resource). However with the latest controls (100.2.1.0) it appears that we also need to install the SDK (noted in https://developers.arcgis.com/net/latest/wpf/guide/create-a-local-server-deployment.htm). Is this correct?

Our projects are written in Visual Basic and after building this project I cannot locate any deployment manifest file (ArcGISLocalServer.AGSDeployment as mentioned in the above link) in the project directory. I am aware that this is not added to the Visual Studio project and cannot find it on the file system either.

Just before I raised this I found the ArcGIS Runtime Local Server Deployment Builder 100.2 which I tried and now get the following exception when firing up the map "LocalServer start failed: executable not found.".

Note the project references the nuget packages rather than the SDK installed, not sure if this makes a difference?

Any advice appreciated.

Robert

Stack trace:

at Esri.ArcGISRuntime.LocalServices.LocalServerEnvironment.CheckInstallValid(Boolean throwEx)
   at Esri.ArcGISRuntime.LocalServices.LocalServerEnvironment.Initialize()
   at Esri.ArcGISRuntime.LocalServices.LocalServer..ctor()
   at Esri.ArcGISRuntime.LocalServices.LocalServer.get_Instance()
   at Esri.ArcGISRuntime.LocalServices.LocalService.<StartServiceInternal>d__25.MoveNext()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.GetResult()

0 Kudos
2 Replies
MichaelBranscomb
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi,

To build an application with ArcGIS Runtime Local Server functionality, on your development machine you need to:

- Reference NuGet Gallery | Esri.ArcGISRuntime.WPF 100.2.1 (or the same package as installed by the VS Extension)

- Reference NuGet Gallery | Esri.ArcGISRuntime.LocalServices 100.2.1 (or the same package as installed by the VS Extension)

- Install the ArcGIS Runtime Local Server SDK ArcGIS for Developers 

When you build your project the Local Services NuGet package does the following:

- Creates the Local Server deployment manifest file on disk within your project folder (if not found)

- Parses the options enabled in the deployment manifest file

- Deploys the specified Local Server components from the SDK installation to your project build output folder (at the same level as the ArcGISRuntime100.2 folder - previously it was nested in this folder).

Is the Esri.ArcGISRuntime.LocalServices package referenced from a WPF application project?

Cheers

Mike

0 Kudos
RobertHaines
New Contributor

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the advice, we have got our test deployment working by moving the localserver100.2 folder directly into our application folder (same level as ArcGISRuntime100.2) as you suggested.

The development environment was already setup with the nuget packages (100.2.1) and the local server SDK.

The WPF control is hosted within a Visual Basic project so perhaps this accounts for the issues we were experiencing with generating a manifest file.

In any case using the ArcGIS Runtime Local Server Deployment Builder 100.2 to output the localserver100.2 folder works for us.

Cheers,

Robert

0 Kudos