Can we use the .NET SDK for building an ASP.NET MVC Web Application?

Jump to solution
04-10-2015 08:58 AM
ericliprandi
New Contributor III

A couple of years ago, we built a Web Application in ASP.NET (MVC 4) and used straight-up HttpClient for communicating with ArcGIS Server.

We are giving that app a serious makeover and wanted to leverage the Runtime SDK for .NET to get rid of a lot of our custom code for communicating with AGS. In particular, we want to leverage utilities like QueryTask and the likes.

We just built a sandbox application and on our first request, we get a "Unable to find ArcGISRuntime deployment folder" exception. Before we dig any deeper into this, we just wanted to check that it was even a supported scenario.

Thanks for any help.

Eric.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MichaelBranscomb
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi,

ArcGIS Runtime SDK for .NET is intended for building apps to be deployed to Windows desktop / tablet / mobile devices and licensing is per app deployment on devices via an ArcGIS organization user login or a license code. There is no licensing model for server-side usage in a multi-user scenario such as this.

Cheers

Mike

View solution in original post

8 Replies
MikeCrook
New Contributor III

I don't have an answer for you. But I am interested to hear how you made the http calls.

Did you send JSON to the ArcGIS server or SOAP? Another question is, Did you manually build a process to view maps, features and search tools or just dumped it into an XAML page? Just curious how you pulled this off.

0 Kudos
ericliprandi
New Contributor III

Mike,

We visualize maps directly through Esri's JSAPI.

For our HTTP calls, we used JSON (REST?). Primarily we were querying AGS layers (features and tables) for our data. In an nutshell, we aggregate a lot of calls. For example, our users want to search across multiple layers. We send a single request to our MVC app and dispatch our queries to the appropriate layers. We also need to query related records (several levels deep). So, our users want to see details of "cable" 123. When they request this from our MVC endpoint, we then fire up queries to fetch the cable details, including its child records and grand-child records.

Hope this helps and that it generates some discussions from Esri.

Regards,

Eric.

MichaelBranscomb

Hi,

ArcGIS Runtime SDK for .NET is intended for building apps to be deployed to Windows desktop / tablet / mobile devices and licensing is per app deployment on devices via an ArcGIS organization user login or a license code. There is no licensing model for server-side usage in a multi-user scenario such as this.

Cheers

Mike

ericliprandi
New Contributor III

Mike,

Thanks for the info. I couldn't make it to the Dev Summit this year, but do you know if there are any plans to support such a deployment? We are an ISV (Schneider Electric) and leverage the Esri platform quite heavily.

We are building standalone apps using the Runtime SDKs also. We have several applications/services coming in the next few months that will be similar in architecture to what I mentioned here. We can roll our own Esri REST client if that is what works best moving forward.

Regards,

Eric.

0 Kudos
MichaelBranscomb

Hi,

There are currently no plans to support such a deployment, but I have passed this request on to product management for further consideration.

Cheers

Mike

Michaelvan_der_Veeken
New Contributor

Michael,

Has there been any update on using the ArcGIS .NET Runtime SDK for server applications? It seems there are multiple threads asking about this, and also a quick google search shows me there have been similar questions on StackOverflow.

I would like to know if it is possible to use the ArcGIS .NET Runtime in an ASP.NET (Web API) application.

Thank you!

Michael

0 Kudos
GirishMeena1
New Contributor II

Michael,

I also have the same question as above one.

Thanks

0 Kudos
GirishMeena1
New Contributor II

Hello Everyone,

I am not sure whether this is a possible solution but wanted to share it here.

How To: Create a simple ArcGIS Server ASP.NET web page 

Has anyone tried above process to create asp.net web page?

Thanks

0 Kudos