Can I Load and Geolocate a Raster with a World File?

11-13-2019 09:13 PM
RobBever
New Contributor III

I'm trying to load rasters where I have the corners, but they're not currently GeoTIFFs or GeoJPEGs, just images plus lat/lon corners.

I tried creating a world file and then loading the raster, but that didn't work. I even tried that in ArcMap and, while it was able to export a GeoTIFF to raster+world file, it couldn't (automatically) geolocate the resulting raster+world file, nor any of the world file formats I tried.

Is it possible to load a raster + world file in the ArcGIS runtime? If not, is there some other mechanism available, short of turning it into a GeoTIFF or GeoJPEG? I can do that, but it seems unnecessary since it's already an image and I already know where it is.

If I could simply load the file as a Raster and then tell the ArcGIS runtime where the corners of the image were, I could just do that, rather than using some other application or library to turn my existing imagery and corners into a GeoTIFF/GeoJPEG so I can load that instead. Thanks.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
MichaelBranscomb
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Rob,

Raster files with world files should work fine. This topic describes the format and structure of world files: World files for raster datasets—Help | ArcGIS Desktop

Cheers

Mike

0 Kudos
RobBever
New Contributor III

I saw that link, but it didn't work. I actually exported a working GeoTIFF as a regular .tif file + world file (.tfw) from ArcMap itself and it won't load in ArcMap or the runtime. ArcMap had the right lat/lons across the image, which means it did read the .tfw file, but said it couldn't project it for some reason. It didn't show up at all in the runtime.

I've attached one of my test files. It's interesting that when I exported from ArcMap, it used lat/lon, whereas in your link it used UTM coordinates. I tried both, though, and in all cases ArcMap said it couldn't project and the runtime didn't display the map.

I could've sworn I had success in some previous case, but I can't get it to work now, even in ArcMap. I'm using runtime 100.6, if that's relevant. Thanks.

0 Kudos
MichaelBranscomb
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi,

Currently the TIF file must be a GeoTIFF which includes the georeferencing information embedded within the TIFF file. You can use ArcGIS Pro to export as a TIFF with the GeoTIFF information.

Thanks

Mike

0 Kudos