ArcGISRuntime 100.12 Upgrade - iOS Installation Issue

10-07-2021 10:41 AM
KennethWalker
New Contributor

Hi there,

My team is upgrading our Xamarin application to use ArcGIS Runtime 100.12. We're coming from Runtime 100.11.

We push our build artifacts to Microsoft App Center and test from there. Unfortunately, we're hitting an issue on iOS when attempting to download and install our app with the 100.12 Runtime upgrade. It appears that the download and install never completes successfully. We are not able to launch our iOS app any longer when using 100.12.

In particular, we're seeing the following OS error: Unable To Install <app name>. This app cannot be installed because its integrity could not be verified.
iOSInstallFail10012.png

We've also seen a similar, less descriptive error message: Unable To Install <app name>. Please try again later.

If you long press on the app icon, you get an option to cancel the download. So it's not getting downloaded and installed correctly, nor can it launch.

Interestingly, it appears that we're able to deploy our app locally using 100.12, but coming from app center the build appears to be invalidated.

We've tried installation on a number of iOS devices and OS versions, all with similar results. Previous builds that use the ArcGIS Runtime 100.11 install normally. Android and Windows apps built with 100.12 are able to be downloaded and installed normally from app center. It seems this issue is isolated to iOS.

Does anyone have any insight into what might be going wrong? Any suggestions for what we might try?

In particular, the error message indicates an issue with app integrity. Are there any iOS related changes in 100.12 that might cause these installation issues?

Thanks very much!

0 Kudos
8 Replies
dotMorten_esri
Esri Notable Contributor

This post seems to indicate it is related to your signing certificates: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/66029781/appcenter-ios-install-error-this-app-cannot-be-installe...

0 Kudos
KennethWalker
New Contributor

Hi Morten,

Thanks for replying. I reviewed the stackoverflow post you linked.
I'm not sure that this issue is related to our signing certificates. We are continuing to produce iOS builds using 100.11 Runtime that use the same signing certificates as our 100.12 upgrade branch/build. The 100.11 builds download, install and run normally without issue. We also manually reviewed our signing certificates and nothing has expired. That seems to suggest the signing cert is OK.

Or are you suggesting that an existing, working signing certificate may have been invalidated by the switch to 100.12? If so, I'd be interested to know more.

Our changes are really just limited to upgrading the Runtime package from 100.11 -> 100.12. So unfortunately it feels like our installation issue is associated with the package upgrade.

One interesting difference we've found is the included Frameworks in the built ipa.
In our working 100.11 app, we have two frameworks:

MicrosoftTeams-image.png

While in our 100.12 app, a new Runtimecore.framework has been added:

MicrosoftTeams-image (1).png

Drilling into the Runtimecore.framework, we can see a _CodeSignature folder.

MicrosoftTeams-image (2).png

We understand that Frameworks need to be signed. Perhaps the introduction of this new Framework could be related to the integrity issue? Perhaps its signing is not correct or consistent?

If you have any insight that might make heads or tails of this issue, it would be very much appreciated. Thanks again!

0 Kudos
MichaelBranscomb
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for the additional information. We're currently investigating and will contact you as soon as we have more information to share or have further questions.

Thanks

0 Kudos
JimPickett
New Contributor

I am also experiencing this issue exactly as @KennethWalker reported.  My provisioning profile and certificate are valid.  The only change I have to make to reproduce the issue is updating from ArcGIS Runtime 100.11.2 to 100.12.

0 Kudos
dotMorten_esri
Esri Notable Contributor

Thank you for confirming @JimPickett . There does seem to be an issue with signing multiple native libraries in VS4Mac at this point. If you instead publish the generated package with XCode, it should work ok though.

0 Kudos
JimPickett
New Contributor

Hey Morton.  Thanks for the quick reply.  We use Azure DevOps to build our Xamarin Forms solution and upload the .ipa file to App Center for testing.  We'll try using the "Resign ipa file" task before uploading the build to App Center. 

0 Kudos
JimPickett
New Contributor

Using the "Resign ipa file" Azure DevOps task fixed the issue.  Thanks for the suggestion, Morton.

0 Kudos
dotMorten_esri
Esri Notable Contributor

If you have the repro steps for this issue, I'd encourage you to submit a VS4Mac feedback issue: https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/report?space=41&entry=problem
If you do, feel free to link it here, so everyone affected can upvote and/or add more detail, and we can also help increase visibility for this issue with the VS4Mac team.

0 Kudos