ArcGIS Runtime SDK vs ArcGIS Pro SDK - Desktop based questions

Jump to solution
04-13-2015 10:53 PM
juan_marvinwirjomartono
New Contributor III

Dear all,

I usually develop add-in for ArcMAP for version 10.0. On this version, I still use ArcObject SDK to create add-in, and I still need ArcGIS Engine license to create a standalone desktop application.

Now the technology has improved. When it comes to ArcGIS 10.3, I see many things are new. There are ArcGIS Runtime SDK (ArcGIS Runtime SDK for .Net | ArcGIS for Developers)) and also ArcGIS Pro SDK that will be released soon (ArcGIS Pro SDK for .NET Coming Soon | ArcGIS Blog ). This leads me to several questions for this new ArcGIS version 10.3.

Is the ArcGIS Runtime SDK the new "ArcObject SDK" that we used to create Add-In? What is the different of ArcGIS Runtime SDK and ArcGIS Pro SDK? Will there be any additional requirement to make a standalone application compare with an add-in development, considering currently for ArcGIS 10.0 a standalone desktop app development needs an ArcGIS Engine license while an Add-In development does not. Do we need to purchase any license to download the ArcGIS Runtime SDK and ArcGIS Pro SDK? Can I use ArcGIS Runtime SDK with my ArcGIS desktop 10.0 if I fulfill the ArcGIS Runtime SDK requirements, such as what is stated here: System requirements—ArcGIS Runtime SDK for .NET | ArcGIS for Developers ?

Any explanation will be much appreciated.

Marvin

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MichaelBranscomb
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi,

To clarify the SDK usage:

- ArcGIS Runtime SDK is for building stand alone apps and for integrating GIS into your business apps.

- ArcGIS Pro SDK is for customizing the ArcGIS Pro application.

To work with the ArcGIS Runtime you will need ArcGIS Desktop 10.2 or greater - for the 'Create Runtime Content' toolset described here: ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2) . The plan is to add these tool to ArcGIS Pro as well.

Cheers

Mike

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
MichaelBranscomb

Hi,

To clarify the SDK usage:

- ArcGIS Runtime SDK is for building stand alone apps and for integrating GIS into your business apps.

- ArcGIS Pro SDK is for customizing the ArcGIS Pro application.

To work with the ArcGIS Runtime you will need ArcGIS Desktop 10.2 or greater - for the 'Create Runtime Content' toolset described here: ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2) . The plan is to add these tool to ArcGIS Pro as well.

Cheers

Mike

0 Kudos
juan_marvinwirjomartono
New Contributor III

Hi Michael,

Thank you for your reply. Yes, my understanding of their usage was not clear as well. Thank you for clarifying it.

So for version 10.3, I think the one that is similar with ArcObject SDK, that can make add-ins to extend the functionality of ArcGIS Desktop, will be ArcGIS Pro SDK, right? It is just that ArcGIS Pro SDK only works for ArcGIS Pro product customization. So for the other ArcGIS Desktop product, say ArcMAP, does it mean ArcGIS 10.3 will still have ArcObject SDK for ArcMap 10.3?

0 Kudos
MichaelBranscomb

Hi,

For more advanced ArcGIS Pro customization you can use the forthcoming ArcGIS Pro SDK.

To customize ArcMap / ArcCatalog you can use:

- Python (What is a Python add-in?—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop ) or

- ArcObjects (ArcObjects Help for .NET developers ).

Cheers

Mike

juan_marvinwirjomartono
New Contributor III

Ah, it's good to know that the ArcObject SDK is still used for ArcMap 10.3. Ok, I think I get the picture now. Thank you very much for your info, Mike.

0 Kudos