ArcGIS Runtime Licensing

Jump to solution
11-02-2018 01:38 AM
KhurramAli
New Contributor II

I have been asking few questions regarding the ArcGIS Runtime Licensing from my local ArcGIS distributor but they haven't replied for many days and also I found this question  https://community.esri.com/thread/164451, now these questions are

1. Is Developer required to purchase application Runtime License for every application distributed? For example, we develop an app and want to distribute it to 10 devices, do we need just one developer license and then we can distribute as many as we can? Or we need license for each device i.e. 10 licenses?
  2. Please elaborate this "per app/per device".?
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MichaelBranscomb
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi,

Regarding your questions:

1. Is Developer required to purchase application Runtime License for every application distributed? For example, we develop an app and want to distribute it to 10 devices, do we need just one developer license and then we can distribute as many as we can? Or we need license for each device i.e. 10 licenses?

Yes, as the developer you are required to license every application you deploy. In your example, the app deployed to 10 devices requires each of the 10 app installations to be licensed for deployment. Licensing can be done via:

• An ArcGIS Named User where the user of your app signs into ArcGIS Online or Portal for ArcGIS to unlock `Lite` as a Level 1 User or `Basic` as a Level 2 User. 
  • A license key that you compile into the application. Note that license levels Standard, Advanced, and Analysis are currently only supported with the license key approach. When you receive a license key (string) to license your app, you use the same license key each time you deploy that app and you are required to keep track of how many times it is deployed and purchase the appropriate number of licenses.

The term 'per app / per device' means each application you deploy to a single device must be licensed. Effectively there is no device-wide license for multiple installed apps. As above, you can either license the app via the Named User approach where the user of the device would sign into each application on the device or license the app using the license key approach.

Resources:

License your app—ArcGIS Runtime SDK for .NET | ArcGIS for Developers 

Levels, roles, and privileges—Portal for ArcGIS (10.6) | ArcGIS Enterprise 

Cheers

Mike

View solution in original post

6 Replies
MichaelBranscomb
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi,

Regarding your questions:

Yes, as the developer you are required to license every application you deploy. In your example, the app deployed to 10 devices requires each of the 10 app installations to be licensed for deployment. Licensing can be done via:

• An ArcGIS Named User where the user of your app signs into ArcGIS Online or Portal for ArcGIS to unlock `Lite` as a Level 1 User or `Basic` as a Level 2 User. 
  • A license key that you compile into the application. Note that license levels Standard, Advanced, and Analysis are currently only supported with the license key approach. When you receive a license key (string) to license your app, you use the same license key each time you deploy that app and you are required to keep track of how many times it is deployed and purchase the appropriate number of licenses.

The term 'per app / per device' means each application you deploy to a single device must be licensed. Effectively there is no device-wide license for multiple installed apps. As above, you can either license the app via the Named User approach where the user of the device would sign into each application on the device or license the app using the license key approach.

Resources:

License your app—ArcGIS Runtime SDK for .NET | ArcGIS for Developers 

Levels, roles, and privileges—Portal for ArcGIS (10.6) | ArcGIS Enterprise 

Cheers

Mike

WaldemarNowak
New Contributor III

Hi,

Does it mean that purchasing any of paid developer subscription: Builder, Professional, Premium, Enterprise still does not give me any possibility (license) to distribute my application. 

These developer subscriptions have no relation to actual runtime licensing of my application. I may even use free plan "Essential" to build application, but need to purchase runtime license pack.

Can you confirm?

Regards,

Waldek

0 Kudos
JoeHershman
MVP Regular Contributor

Developer license is for developing, nothing else.  Any distribution requires a license to distribute the application.  As mentioned this can be purchasing a license that is embedded or connecting to AGOL/Portal and grabbing a named user license.

Thanks,
-Joe
0 Kudos
WaldemarNowak
New Contributor III

"Developer license is for developing,",

Yes, but it needs to be emphasized that developing does not require any license.

Regards,

Waldek

0 Kudos
RichardDaniels
Occasional Contributor III

Hello,

In regards to ArcGIS Runtime licensing standard packages. My distributor is claiming ESRI only sells standard in packs of 25 and basic in packs of 50...Our organizations only needs 5 standard licenses.

Is this true or do I just need to find a different distributor?

Rich

0 Kudos
Nicholas-Furness
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Richard Daniels,

Your distributor is correct. Deployment pack sizes are:

• Basic‌: 50
  • Standard: 25
  • Advanced: 5
  • Analysis Extension: 5

Cheers,

Nick.