ArcGIS Runtime 100.6 UWP app is throwing SEHException and crashes

09-08-2019 10:11 AM
OSINT_ENGINEER
New Contributor III

I just started to use the ArcGIS Runtime 100.6 UWP version and wanted to create a simple app using navigation view and pages. I just installed the Esri.ArcGISRuntime.UWP nuget package. When I navigate to the page containing the map view a SEHException is raised and the UWP app crashes. Would you be so kind and help me to narrow it down?

Edition: Windows 10 Pro

Version: 1903

Build: 18362.295

Project Settings:

UWP

Target version: Windows 10, version 1903

Minimum version: Windows 10, version 1809

System.Runtime.InteropServices.SEHException
  HResult=0x80004005
  Nachricht = External component has thrown an exception.
  Quelle = <Die Ausnahmequelle kann nicht ausgewertet werden.>
  Stapelüberwachung:
<Die Ausnahmestapelüberwachung kann nicht ausgewertet werden.>

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
dotMorten_esri
Esri Notable Contributor

It's not a whole lot to go on. Do you have a small sample you can share that reproduces this problem? 

Also enabling mixed debugging in the project settings will give you a better stacktrace you can share and at least a little more to go on (but a reproducer would be the best)

0 Kudos
OSINT_ENGINEER
New Contributor III

I just created a sample UWP app using the ArcGIS template. The native stack trace does not go in any detail, so I created a mini user dump with heap (See the linked ZIP file containing the VS 2019 solution and the dump file).

BTW, is there any public symbol server available offering the *.pdb files for the published ArcGIS Runtime versions?

Thanks in advanced.

One Drive Shared

0 Kudos
dotMorten_esri
Esri Notable Contributor

Thank you for sharing that. For what it's worth, the app works on my machine, so we're most likely looking at some system configuration thing here (any detail you can share here would be useful too - like system info, is it a VM and what kind, graphics hardware, is it remote desktop etc).

The minidump is really only helpful in the sense that I can see it happens while creating the native underlying MapView's background, but no clear indication why it's failing (a full dump might tell us more).

To trouble shoot a little, could you try naming the MapView "mapView" in xaml, and then add this to code-behind right after initializecompont:

mapView.BackgroundGrid.IsVisible = false;
mapView.BackgroundGrid.GridLineWidth = 0;
mapView.BackgroundGrid.GridLineColor = System.Drawing.Color.Black;
mapView.BackgroundGrid.Color = System.Drawing.Color.Black;
mapView.BackgroundGrid.GridSize = 2;

If that does resolve the problem, try narrowing down which of the above lines fixes it. That might give us a little more to go on.

BTW, is there any public symbol server available offering the *.pdb files for the published ArcGIS Runtime versions?

We're still working on publishing Update 6 symbols, and a blogpost will go out soon describing how to use them. I do believe it'll just be the WPF symbols in the first round (I'll look into the status/plans for UWP symbols)..

0 Kudos
OSINT_ENGINEER
New Contributor III

The constructor new MapView is causing the SEHException. When I downgrade back to 100.5 everything is working fine. I am going to reinstall 100.6 and try to clean the NUGET caches manually.

0 Kudos
dotMorten_esri
Esri Notable Contributor

I doubt the clean cache would help. Some system info could be useful. Also try to see if you reproduce the problem on a different PC. It would be good if we could narrow down what causes this problem to happen just for you.

0 Kudos
MichaelBranscomb
Esri Frequent Contributor

Jan,

As Morten suggested, please can you share system info for the machine on which you can repro this issue? A DxDiag report is preferable - see https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4028644/windows-open-and-run-dxdiagexe.

Cheers

Mike

0 Kudos
OSINT_ENGINEER
New Contributor III

It only happens on my personal computer at home using VS 2019 Community Edition with non-admin and admin privileges on a German based Windows 10 machine. I could narrow it down a little bit by monitoring a demo app called AdminMapApp.exe using ProcMon with admin privileges. It seems like the .NET core runtime is trying to load some German resource files for System.Private.CoreLib and fails gracefully.

Please see the linked ZIP file containing the system information from dxdiag and the ProcMon log.

Windows10-Personal-German-Environment

0 Kudos
AlexMenkes
New Contributor

I am also having this error.  I'm running Windows 10 Pro, version 1903.  VS 2019 Community Edition.  ArcGIS .NET Runtime 100.6.0.  Even just a simple template project for Runtime WPF won't run.

Interestingly, I also cannot run the ArcGIS Runtime for .NET Samples app from Miscrosoft Store.  I thought maybe I could get samples from it to see why I couldn't build from VS.  But it throws the same exception type errors.   Like this:

0 Kudos
MichaelBranscomb
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi,

Can you share the dxdiag report for your machine?

Thanks

Mike

0 Kudos