App wants "client32" folder on a 64-bit machine

Jump to solution
09-14-2016 12:31 PM
MarkCederholm
Occasional Contributor III

I've run into a head-scratcher.  I have two different apps using a common Runtime deployment folder on a 64-bit machine.  The first app is perfectly happy with just the client64 folder present, but the second app wanted the client32 present.  I was able to clear the problem by explicitly building the second app for 64-bit, but I didn't have to do that for the first app.  Any idea what would be causing this behavior?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AnttiKajanus1

My take is that you have Prefer 32-bit set in the second application properties which makes it trying to run the app in 32 bit mode. I would assume that if you build the app using Any CPU and Prefer 32-bit on, runtime tries to use 32 bit version. If you build the application directly to 64 bit, that doesn't have same issue.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
AnttiKajanus1

My take is that you have Prefer 32-bit set in the second application properties which makes it trying to run the app in 32 bit mode. I would assume that if you build the app using Any CPU and Prefer 32-bit on, runtime tries to use 32 bit version. If you build the application directly to 64 bit, that doesn't have same issue.

0 Kudos
MarkCederholm

Where the heck did that come from?  Did that appear in VS 2013 with update 5?  None of my earlier [VS 2013] projects have that set.  Thanks anyway for the tip! 

Update: I did some searching, and the option actually appeared with VS 2012.  It's still a mystery as to why I haven't run into the problem with earlier projects, unless my memory is just messing with me. 😉

0 Kudos