Android App Size bloated(Esri.ArcGISRuntime.Xamarin.Android - 100.5) - Unable to upload to play store because of size restriction.

Jump to solution
09-04-2019 07:57 AM
AmitTaparia
New Contributor II

Android App Size bloated - Unable to upload to play store because of size restriction.

After upgrading the Esri Arc Gis Runtime for Android to 100.5.0, our android app size is bloated well beyond 100 MB. Checking the content of the .apk file, I found this out :

1. Esri.ArcGISRuntime.dll - 67,646 KB

2. libruntimecore.so - 57,432 KB

So just these 2 files from ESRI is contributing to more than 100 MB. Google play store doesn't allow apps beyond 100 MB. But they do have some provision to allow to the play store using something called "Expansion Files" but to the best of my understanding, Expansion Files are mainly for high resolution images and not for dll's/.so files.

I tried splitting my app based on CPU architecture as well where it produces separate files based on the CPU architecture but even after that the app size is more than 100MB just for the 2 ESRI files.

Can you guy please help?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AmitTaparia
New Contributor II

Yes Trevor.

I followed the the link but that didn't really help.

After taking to another colleague of yours, he forwarded me this link - Deploy your app—ArcGIS Runtime SDK for .NET | ArcGIS for Developers .

Following the steps in this link, I was able to get passed the issue.

Thanks for replying Trevor!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Amit,

Have you looked at ABI filtering? Check out this guide doc to make sure you're only building the files you need for the devices you're targeting. Reducing your APK size—ArcGIS Runtime SDK for Android | ArcGIS for Developers 

Let me know if this helps!

Trevor

0 Kudos
AmitTaparia
New Contributor II

Yes Trevor.

I followed the the link but that didn't really help.

After taking to another colleague of yours, he forwarded me this link - Deploy your app—ArcGIS Runtime SDK for .NET | ArcGIS for Developers .

Following the steps in this link, I was able to get passed the issue.

Thanks for replying Trevor!

0 Kudos
dotMorten_esri
Esri Notable Contributor

The ESRI.ArcGISRuntime.dll is actually only this big because it has the .so file packaged inside it (that's how Xamarin.Android packages native libraries with .NET class libraries). Once you compile and link your app that problem should go away. Did you use the Xamarin linker options and compile for release builds?

See more about the linker options here: Linking on Android - Xamarin | Microsoft Docs 

0 Kudos
AmitTaparia
New Contributor II

Hi Morten,

Yes the app size was drastically reduced once I used the linker option. Thanks for replying back.

0 Kudos