Quartz: animate large number of points?

09-19-2016 06:55 PM
DavidMomper
New Contributor II

I'm trying to animate a large number of points in Quartz, similar to what is described in this presentation using the 10.2.4 (see slides 10-12):
https://s3.amazonaws.com/webapps.esri.com/esri-proceedings/devsummit14/papers/dev-106.pdf 

In 10.2.4, we have movePointGraphic() for this purpose. I haven't been able to locate any similar function in layers or overlays in Quartz.

In Quartz, it seems like Overlays are more well-suited to this kind of thing than feature layers, but I haven't been able to get them fast enough. I've tried using an overlay with a SimpleRenderer in dynamic mode to animate a large number of Point graphics by simply calling Graphic.setGeometry() on each point, and it is too slow.

Is there some trick to this that I'm missing? Among the existing samples, I've only seen examples of updating a small handful of graphics at a time. Thanks for any help on this!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
nita14
by
Occasional Contributor III

Hi David,

If I were in your shoes, I would read this topic - Guidelines, best practices, tips, and tricks—ArcGIS Runtime SDK for .NET | ArcGIS for Developers  - Update Geometry section. .Net version already has some of coming 'Quartz flavours' built -in. Next give a shot using PointBuilder... But, I am not sure if any performance gain it would yield.... 

Since movePointGraphic() method was optimized on the C++ code side, I reckon Eric Bader is the right person to ask, if the same feature will be available in the final release.

Hope this helps a bit,

Regards, 

Adam

DavidMomper
New Contributor II

Thanks for the info. I'm working from the Java beta documentation here: Edit geometries. For now, I've managed to get things running a bit more smoothly by limiting the number of points that I draw, but I'd love to find a way to smoothly animate tens of thousands at a time like in 10.2.4.

I was looking for a way to reach out to Eric, but couldn't find any contact info. Maybe he'll stumble across this post at some point.

0 Kudos
EricBader
Occasional Contributor III

Hey David,

Setting geometry on each graphic will indeed be slow after about a few hundred graphics.

Setting the renderer to the GraphicsOverlay is the approach for tens of thousands of graphics.

DavidMomper
New Contributor II
Setting geometry on each graphic will indeed be slow after about a few hundred graphics.

Thanks for the response, Eric. Is there any other way in Quartz to move lots of graphics (or is there planned to be a way) without slowdown like we can do in 10.2.4? It would be nice keep this functionality in Quartz.

0 Kudos