Heatmap - presenting data in Runtime 100.0.0

01-18-2017 05:07 AM
MarcinPejski1
New Contributor

Hello,

1. I'd like to ask you about presenting weather data  (for example) to end-users as a heatmap. I've noticed there is a class for it in Javascript (HeatMapRenderer) but Java lacks of it or anything remotely similar. What would you recommend to do/use to achieve nice and fast final product?

2. Storing frequently changing data - what is the best way? Updating features' attributes (and therefore the database) of thousands of points every second may be troublesome. Is there better solution?

3. What do you think about In-memory OLTP with SQL Server 2014? Would it help?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
nita14
by
Occasional Contributor III

Marcin,

1) ArcGIS Runtime is missing a lot of Smart Mapping capabilites available in the JavaScript API. Heatmap or clustering are examples of those. In my case, I render the data on the server side and use MapService for visualisation.

2) GraphicsOveralys are designed to store temporary data. But, that needs to be tested case by case when using huge amount of data. It might be better to use FeatureLayer (with on interaction change cache) on ArcGIS Server / ArcGIS Online

3) No suggestions at all.

Hope this helps,

Adam

0 Kudos
MarcinPejski1
New Contributor

Adam,

thank you for your reply. I've got some follow up questions, though.

1. What do you mean by rendering the data on the server? Can you explain how to do it? Then, do you use  ArcGISMapImageLayer for visualization from MapService?

2. I'll test it, thank you for that suggestion.

Best regards,

Marcin

0 Kudos
nita14
by

Marcin,

Ad 1) Right, I do use ArcGISMapImageLayer class. You can set symbology for your layers before publishing data as MapService or FeatureService. These settings are maintained by resulting services.

Regards,

Adam

0 Kudos
MarcinPejski1
New Contributor

Adam,

So is there any way you refresh this layer/data, or you don't do that?

Regards,

Marcin

0 Kudos
nita14
by

Marcin,

You can update the underlaying data anyway you want i.e using ArcGIS Desktop Editing Tools (if reside on your DBMS), using REST API calls for FeatureService or any other custom tool that modify your data in the database. The service does not cache input data, it is accessed on every request made to your service. Hope this clarifies your question a bit.

Adam

0 Kudos
MarcinPejski1
New Contributor

Adam,

well, what I actually meant was refreshing the layer in the Java application. I know FeatureService has .refreshData() method but there is no such thing for Image layers. Apart from changing data somewhere underneath, I'd like to refresh the layer in the app every now and then (let's say 3 sec).

0 Kudos
nita14
by

Marcin,

Now, I see what you are getting at.... So, why don't you change every second a Viewpoint offseted by small distance and then change back to the original viewpoint? I know, it is a kind of bypassing the issue, but should work.

Adam

0 Kudos