Eclipse View for add-in not there. (Mars, SDK 10.2.4)

04-20-2016 02:17 AM
BernhardSnizek
New Contributor II

I am trying to write a simple Dockable Window in JAVA.

I am following this recipe: ArcObjects 10 Java SDK Help

I have installed ArcMap 10.4, ArcGIS SDK 10.2.4 and Eclipse IDE for JAVA Developers Mars 2.

I have installed the eclipse tools from: C:/Program Files (x86)/ArcGIS SDKs/java10.2.4/sdk/Eclipse Plugin/

I can add a ArcGIS Runtime Java Application but cannot find the add-in View.

Do I need a different SDK ?

All the best

/Bernhard

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
EricBader
Occasional Contributor III

Hello Bernhard,

It looks like you're mixing 2 different Java SDK products: ArcObjects and Runtime. An easy trap to fall into, unfortunately.

ArcObjects is what is used to create Add-ins for ArcMap. So you were on the right track there. Do not use the Runtime Eclipse plugin for this. There is an Eclipse plugin for ArcObjects in C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\DeveloperKit10.4\java\tools\eclipse_plugin. For Dockable window and Add-ins, you'll need to use this one.

Make sense?

0 Kudos
BernhardSnizek
New Contributor II

Hi Eric !

Thanx - sounds good.

Do you have an idea where I can find the ArcObjects JAVA thing - the ESRI site is a maze !

Best regards

/B

0 Kudos
EricBader

Agreed. Quite maze.

Here is the link to the doc: ArcObjects Help for Java developers | ArcGIS for Desktop

You already have the software, correct? 

0 Kudos
BernhardSnizek
New Contributor II

I have ArcMap, ArcGIS Pro but not yet ArcObjects. Therefore no folder DeveloperKit either  ...

0 Kudos
EricBader

You can get it via your EDN subscription...do you have one?

https://my.esri.com/

0 Kudos
BernhardSnizek
New Contributor II

No not yet. The link sends me to a page where I have to ask my own company for permission grrr...

0 Kudos
BernhardSnizek
New Contributor II

Maybe I should ask you a little question about my approach.

Maybe its better to use .net C# ?

We want to implement a JavaScript component (a search gadget) into ArcMap. It searches in a series of national data sources and returns a JSON with a very simple geometry.

It would be optimal if we could use some kind of a HTML/JS container inside the add-in.

Would you recommend .net or JAVA for that ?

Thanx and all the best 

/Bernhard

0 Kudos
EricBader

Well, the future of Desktop add-ins will be .NET, so your hunch is probably a good one.

All the best!

Eric

0 Kudos