Creating basic and standard deployments

06-05-2014 10:36 AM
MichaelKnight
New Contributor II
Hi Guys,

We would like to create two kinds of deployment for our customers. One basic deployment that comes as default with our software and another standard one that can be purchased as an upgrade.

Currently our mapping component is a single jar but it uses both basic and standard ESRI classes.

Is it possible to use this jar for both deployment scenarios along with one deployment of the runtime? Or would we need to create two seperate jar's and runtime deployments to get this to work?

Thanks,
Mike
0 Kudos
14 Replies
CarlosColón-Maldonado
Occasional Contributor III
Is it possible to use this jar for both deployment scenarios along with one deployment of the runtime? Or would we need to create two separate jar's and runtime deployments to get this to work?

Hi, Mike,

It seems to me that enabling/disabling application features based on license types initialized at start-up would allow you to use one jar. This can be determined by the license level from ArcGISRuntime. However, if you plan on using the LocalServer for execution of "standard" features, you're going to have to figure out when to call it and what would you do instead of using it, e.g., loading map service layers vs. local tile layers that do not require server execution to the map. If you do this right, you may also get away with one deployment package as well (with all features included). You'll know immediately when a standard feature is being used that requires a standard license when you've initialized ArcGISRuntime with a basic one. Those would be the ones I'd disable and inform users of the requirement.

Hope this helps,

Carlos
0 Kudos
MichaelKnight
New Contributor II
Hi Carlos,

Thanks for the response I will use the single jar approach. What is the easiest way of working our exactly what parts of the SDK lie within each license level for example dynamic workspaces?

I guess one way would be to just apply the basic license and see if I get any exceptions being thrown when using the software.

Thanks,
Mike
0 Kudos
MichaelKnight
New Contributor II
It seems that I cannot open a .mpk with a basic license is this correct?
0 Kudos
MarkBaird
Esri Regular Contributor
Hi Mike,

An mpk file needs to use Local Server which is functionality which requires a Standard level license.

https://developers.arcgis.com/java/guide/license-your-app.htm

If you attempt to use this functionality with only a Basic license you will get an error in your application.

Mark
0 Kudos
CarlosColón-Maldonado
It seems that I cannot open a .mpk with a basic license is this correct?

If you're fund of the look-and-feel of your map package, you could create a tiled layer to replicate it, without all of the functions that can be done with map package contents. You should be able run your app in "basic" mode, then remove these tiled layers and load dynamic layers using your map packages once the license is upgraded on restart or "on-the-fly" (with some work).

What we've decided to do was licensed our app with a developer license when no license file is provided, but only because it suited our situation. As of 10.1.1, ArcGISRuntime warns users of the license being used on the deployed app for testing and evaluation only. I like what they've done at 10.2.3 in watermarking the map when using them.

Regards.
0 Kudos
MichaelKnight
New Contributor II
We could create a .tpk file from our .mpk and then we could use it within the basic license. However we need a much higher resolution of map than a .tpk offers. We are often required to provide maps of CAD files for internal building schematics.

As a result a .mpk file was best suited to us because it has no limit on the zoom.
0 Kudos
MarkBaird
Esri Regular Contributor
Tile packages (tpks) only work at fixes levels of detail, so you are limited to the scales you can zoom to.  This works fine when you know the zoom scales you are working at.

Another alternative is to use the new geodatabase format.  You can export this from ArcMap or from a ArcGIS Server Feature Service.  If you are only using the data for read only (not editing it), you are free to use these with a Basic level license.

If you need any more information on this let us know.

Mark
0 Kudos
MiguelMartinez1
New Contributor II

Hi Mark,

I have the same problem, I want to load information(just for read, not for edition), I'm trying to use standard license, but if it easier using that kind of functionality please tell me how to do it, now I'm using a TPK(fro base map) and MPK for my info, I can identify on click or mouse over, is it possible to do it using "the new geodatabase format"?

Thanks

0 Kudos
CarlosColón-Maldonado

Hi Mike,

I'm a bit intrigued by this "new geodatabase format" that allows you to render its containing data using a basic license so long as it's read-only. Up to this point, I've had to use a standard deployment license just to render rasters off mosaic datasets from a geodatabase unto the map, with no editing capability, because of merely using the LocalServer class. Has this changed? I am interested in getting more information on this.

Thanks,

Carlos

0 Kudos