Want to create a grid map that shows coordinates as dots

06-26-2022 03:05 PM
Conqueror
New Contributor II

I have a task to create a map with a 1x1 km grid that shows the selected coordinates as points. 

I searched on the developers' website, where the examples of the codes "Display Grid" and "Format Coordinates" are what suit me best. I would also like to mark each cell with one index - a number from 1 to 100 - how can this be done using ArcGis? I only need a specific area equal to 3 million km.

I've tried combining the "Display Grid" and "Format Coordinates", but some bugs occurred. I'm working on them, it takes time, I guess?

Can someone advise me/explain how this can be done? I beg you very much!!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
MarkBaird
Esri Regular Contributor

What you've described sounds possible to me.

My initial thoughts are that you'd draw the grid points on the fly when you pan or zoom the map.  Drawing 3million by 3 million points would be wasteful on resources.  

The points would be drawn using a graphics overlap on the mapView which in turn would contain your graphics for the points.

The other option you have is to create a dataset (a feature service for example) of points which has the grid  points already created.

If you tell me a little more about your application ideas I can make some suggestions.  I need to know things like:

- What are you aligning these point to?

- Is the display a static map, or are you planning on it moving around a lot

- Is this a standalone application or does it integrate with ArcGIS Online or OGC datasets?

0 Kudos
Conqueror
New Contributor II

Hello!

I want to make sure that I gave you the right idea. I don't plan to make dots on grids or a grid of dots. The point displaying the coordinates will be inside one of the many cells. As for your questions,

- the point will be linked to the coordinate,

- it would be good to make the map dynamic, but if it's not possible it's ok to be static,

- this is a desktop application.

I would like to be able to search for coordinates. You can imagine all this as follows: I write a coordinate (longitude and latitude, for example), there is a search and detection of the position of the coordinate in one cell, and it is indicated by a dot (or a drawing pin). The cell itself will be indicated by a number, for example, 25. The idea is that by the cell index (25), it would be possible to find information about the cell in the database. Somehow, I hope, I was able to explain it clearly.

Conqueror_0-1656358632283.png

A quick sketch of what I should do

0 Kudos
MarkBaird
Esri Regular Contributor

I can't say I fully understand what you are trying to do, but I'll try to begin to help.

You mention that there is a "database" in your application which you want to search.  Is this a database of geospatial data?  Can you tell me about the format of this data and where it lives?  For example, is it an Esri geodatabase or hosted data in a feature service or OGC dataset.

It would also help if you could describe what you are trying to achieve in real life.  What do the points represent ?

I'm pretty confident I can help, but I need to fully understand what you are trying to do.

Thanks

Mark

0 Kudos
Conqueror
New Contributor II

I'm going to get a MySQL. Below is the picture I show an approximate version of the program that I want to make. Instead of a blue square, there will be a map, and the table next to it will be linked to the database of cell indexes. I'm going to create such logic:
First, I enter the coordinates into a search engine that finds its exact location. I'd like to be able to mark it with dots/circles/a drawing pin. After I set the marker for the first area, I start searching in the same way for the other two areas. There will be 3 markers in total. I enter the coordinates -> searching process -> marking. With each search, it is necessary that the markers do not shift or disappear, they must remain in their position - accuracy is important.
Then I notice that the first point is located on the 10th cell. I enter the number 10 into the search, which is located just above the table - I get data about the 10th cell from the database. Similarly to the other two points. This part is a lot easier and I have a few ideas on how to create it. The most difficult part is the first one.

I've considered GMapsFX, Openstreetmap, leaflet, mapjfx, Google Earth Engine, etc, but they don't suit me.
In the videos below, the developers create what I roughly need. In the first video [1], the developer binds the data in the table to a certain point, but I need to enter coordinates so that the search is carried out and a label/marker/point appears. That is the reverse process.
The videos [2] and [3] show the work of Google Earth Engine, creating a grid and creating a label, something similar is needed. The grid should already be drawn by itself, it would be cool to have a filter - as in the third video.
There is such an additional question - is it possible to save these designated coordinates in png/jpg form? Is this provided for by the ArcGIS API?

Thank you for trying to help, I really appreciate it!

Conqueror_0-1656451599975.png

[1]  JavaFX Scene Builder 2.0 - Building an app UI - 720HD - YouTube

[2] Making a Grid Map - YouTube

[3] How to Create a Property Map with Google Maps - YouTube

0 Kudos