Military Symbology 2525D Speed Vector in ArcGIS Java SDK

12-01-2020 06:28 AM
FuzailSiddiqui
New Contributor III

Hello Everyone,

I've been working on a Java Desktop Application using the ArcGIS runtime SDK v100.7.0. There was a requirement where I had to display Point Graphics using Symbols from the MILSTD 2525D .stylx file. I was able to render these Graphic objects on the Map View just fine. Now, I've come across a requirement where I have to show these symbols with Speed Vectors. According to the official MILSTD 2525D documentation at MILSTD-2525D-PDF , it was mentioned here:

FuzailSiddiqui_0-1606832145762.jpeg

According to this, the speed vector arrow's length depends upon the speed of that object but I cannot manage to find any such attribute here https://github.com/Esri/military-symbology/tree/dev/military-overlay/mil2525d that can change the length of the "speed vector" present in the military symbol to be rendered.

My code snippet:

private Symbol getMilitarySymbol(String sidc, int speed, int direction) {
        Map<String, Object> attributes = new HashMap<>();

attributes.put("sidc", sidc); // sidc
        attributes.put("direction", direction);
        attributes.put("speed", speed);

try {
            // actually returns a MultiLayerPointSymbol with size of 85.333336
            MultilayerPointSymbol symbol = (MultilayerPointSymbol) symbolDictionary.getSymbolAsync(attributes).get();
            symbol.setSize(65.0f);
            return symbol;
        } catch (InterruptedException e) {
            e.printStackTrace();
            System.out.println("InterruptedException - failed to symbolize SIDC: " + sidc);
        } catch (ExecutionException e) {
            e.printStackTrace();
            System.out.println("ExecutionException - failed to symbolize SIDC: " + sidc);
        }

return null;
    }

The Output on Map View:

FuzailSiddiqui_1-1606832523238.png

Note: The length of this arrow remains same no matter what speed value I specify (e.g. 1 or 11)

I want to know,  how can I fulfill this requirement ? How do I make the arrow length reflect the speed of the object ?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
MarkBaird
Esri Regular Contributor

I'm seeking out someone who knows the MIL2525 symbology...  

ChristopherMoore
Esri Contributor

The short answer is this is not yet supported by the DictionaryRenderer. So these lines would need to be drawn with a custom line symbol for now. 

For now, as you demonstrated above, the speed attribute controls a label displayed on some symbols (like air, equipment) and the direction attribute controls a direction-of-movement indicator.

The longer answer is that I believe the standard doesn't require, or fully explain/specify the things shown in section K, so would probably require some more information to implement. Although, the speed leader is also mentioned outside of Section K in "FIGURE 13. Dynamic graphic amplifiers for icon-based symbols." Unfortunately, this section also doesn't provide much detail on how to draw, derive the length of the speed line, an error ellipse, etc.  

I'll also forward this to the team responsible for the dictionaryrenderer to see if this in on their radar for a future release.  

- Chris