Open a map through an e-mail link

10-08-2010 01:50 PM
PaulLohr
Occasional Contributor III
Not sure how difficult this would be to add, but it would be nice if I could send an e-mail message containing a link of an existing map to a user and that user could click the link to open the ArcGIS for iOS application and have that particular map load. Of course the user would have to already have an account and be signed in at arcgis.com (?).

You have probably seen where other applications handle this through custom URL schemes.  The URL might be something like arcgis://www.arcgis.com/map1. Some examples of custom URL schemes can be seen here.
0 Kudos
6 Replies
DiveshGoyal
Esri Regular Contributor
The ArcGIS application for iOS does use a custom URL to open maps from arcgis.com. It is arcgis://www.arcgis.com/sharing/content/items/<itemid>/data

When viewing a map in the application, you can share it with others via email. Click on the "i" button in lower right corner, Click Details, and use the share button on the top right corner
0 Kudos
PaulLohr
Thank you for your help.

This does not seem to work unless I am doing something wrong.

I figured out that the id which appears on arcgis.com is the <itemid>. I sent the link to myself, formatted as you suggested. I tried sending the link from arcgis for iOS and from MS Outlook. When I tap the link, the iPhone switches to the arcgis application but does not load the map, instead the old map stays loaded. I tried this with several maps, same result. I tried signing in to arcgis.com, then tap the link, same behavior.

Using version 1.1, build 241.

Thanks for any help,
Paul Lohr
0 Kudos
DiveshGoyal
Esri Regular Contributor
Hmm, are the webmap's sharing permissions set to public?

Can you send me the link? dgoyal at esri dot com
0 Kudos
EnriqueYaptenco
New Contributor
I was able to successfully test this.  However, the map defaults to a world extent. How can we control the initial extent so that it is zoomed in to a particular area?
0 Kudos
PaulLohr
In arcgis.com, the webmap is set to share with "Everyone". I sent you a link from ArcGIS/iOS with a map that is set to share with everyone. On my iPhone the link opens ArcGIS for iOS but leaves the previously opened map as the current map (not loading the linked map). Thanks for any help.

Paul Lohr
0 Kudos
PaulLohr
At version 1.0, I was never able to open a map using a link. At version 1.5, it works as it should. Thank you.
0 Kudos