OfflineTileMap speed

Jump to solution
05-31-2013 07:11 AM
RickJones
Occasional Contributor II
In 2.x, the offline basemap tiles loaded smoothly and fast. ( < 1 second from zoom to rendered).

In 10.1.1, the sample Offline project is very laggy, with some tiles taking 5 seconds to draw. I can see the background grid sometimes.

Is there some configuration I need to do in XCode?
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DiveshGoyal
Esri Regular Contributor
The simulator, unfortunately, does not give a good indication of the performance of our new display pipeline. For example, in the places where we use hardware acceleration, the simulator relies on software to interpret those instructions.

Could you try running on a physical device and see if you still see a performance difference between the old and the new?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DiveshGoyal
Esri Regular Contributor
Are you running the sample on the device? or the simulator?

If device, which one?
0 Kudos
RickJones
I'm running on the simulator on a Mac Pro.
0 Kudos
DiveshGoyal
Esri Regular Contributor
The simulator, unfortunately, does not give a good indication of the performance of our new display pipeline. For example, in the places where we use hardware acceleration, the simulator relies on software to interpret those instructions.

Could you try running on a physical device and see if you still see a performance difference between the old and the new?
0 Kudos
RickJones
You are correct. It's smoother on the iPad.

I don't recall that much difference in 2.x on the simulator.
0 Kudos
DiveshGoyal
Esri Regular Contributor
Good to know.

In 2.x, we used a different display engine that was entirely cocoa based. At 10.1.1 we moved to a native display engine that uses OpenGL ES
0 Kudos