Lost and confused!

10-12-2011 03:18 AM
CatherineHall2
New Contributor
I'm hoping someone here can help me out with some answers. I'm really not sure at all what to try next, so I figure if I explain it someone will have an idea of what I need to do.

My partner works for a company that has a mapping set up of services etc and uses arc reader to access it. it would be useful in my partners line of work for him to have portable access to the maps, so he has hijacked my iPad and we're trying to figure out how he can get the map set up onto the iPad. Now between myself (mac user) hubby (tech illiterate) and the 'guy at the office' (PC user, mac illiterate) it's becoming a bit of a comedy of errors

I can't run the arc reader on my mac, but I do have the folders of files, I'm told the .pmf file is the part that has all the stuff we need. Is there a way for the iOS app to read this file? going in through the apps menu via iTunes, arcgis doesn't allow you to open files from the desktop. Is it something that I should be able to access if I know the correct server address the .pmf file is stored on and had access permissions. Or is this something that I would need to sign up to apple developer program so I can get the existing file onto the his reader app?

Like I said, very confused about this.
0 Kudos
11 Replies
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor
The app currently requires you to use map services and feature services within a webmap. These services are published by ArcGIS Server. Map services can be queryed while feature services allow you to collect and edit data. Also you can now import shapefiles/csv/gpx files into arcgis.com/explorer.arcgis.com but you are limited by the size of the files being imported into the webmap. These features are only viewable within the app so no edits can be made to them by the app. Also there is currently no way to export those layers out of the webmap.

Here are some videos that will help you walkthrough getting these maps online.
http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisonline/help/index.html#/Videos/010q00000003000000/

Once the webmap is saved to your Global Account you can login with that same account and view it under "my content" within the app. You can also share it among other users with global accounts by using groups to keep the map private  to the rest of the online community but still allowing some permitted users to access the map.

Hope this helps.
Russ
0 Kudos
CatherineHall2
New Contributor
Not sure I am following, but maybe another approach.

The council has this map available via their website, http://gis2.huttcity.govt.nz/PES/MapViewer.aspx some of the navigation features do not work on iPad if I connect to it via safari browser on the iPad. Is there a way to access that particular map, which is already on the council server,  via the arcgis app?  If I can get that map working on the app with all the navigation abilities etc then we can work from there towards getting the other stuff he needs sorted. As far as I know this is the same map on the .pmf file that I was given in the file of arc reader and other stuff
0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor
The app currently consumes map services, feature services, imagery services and feature collections(map notes, shapefiles, csv and gpx). The map has to be coming from ArcGIS Online or from your mobile content server(ArcGIS Server 10).  Also the app currently does not have any routing or navigation capabilities and the limitation of navigation from the safari browser is probably due to the mobile browser and I am unsure how to work around that.
Feel free to post any further questions you have about the app here.
Cheers
Russ
0 Kudos
CatherineHall2
New Contributor
Yep, the limitation of browsing via safari is due to the way iOS works with the gestures, not the map, which is why I was hoping to have that particular map available to me via the arcgis app.

When you say mobile content server(ArcGIS Server 10), do you mean it would have to be developed from scratch in a different form and then put up as a separate deal to the already existing maps? The city council already has all the maps and information set up on a server, would none of that work at all for the app? Is it just a case of them uploading their stuff to a server that would make it available. I don't think they want to release the maps that we are after into the wilds. But for the map they do have publicly available on their website, would they need to reformat it or just simply make it available. If it all has to go through the arcgis online, are they able to make certain maps restricted content?

I'm trying to get my head around what I could suggest to the council that we need in order to get this mobile access to the maps. I think they're missing one of the potentially main user groups by not having an iDevice friendly map. After all I'm more likely to want to access a local area map that shows me where everything is when I'm out and about, not sitting at home at my desktop.
0 Kudos
MelindaFrost
Occasional Contributor
Hi,
I looked out your public website and I looks like it is using ArcGIS Server .NET ADF. I know this is probably too technically jargen but essential it looks like you already have ArcGIS Server and have a map service- basically what this does is send to website images of map based on scale and extent requested. And it uses a ArcMap mxd or msd file to create the service.
Do you know who manages this site? They can probably be of help because .pmf files cannot be read by any iOS app. That format can only be read by ArcReader (which I believe only runs on PCs). You will have to publish your maps (map services) on ArcGIS online so you can access them through the ArcGIS app. I believe you can restrict who can access them. Or you could build your own custom app either through ESRI iOS API or through the new Flex AIR stuff or using htlm, javascript and PhoneGap.
What I would do is found out who manages your public website. Tell them what you want and they can give you more detail about how to do it (hopefully). Or RFP out (I do this work all the time as do many others).
I hope I am not making your head spin more but unforunately you need someone who has some more GIS and application development knowledge to help you layout the path to getting these maps accessable via iphone/ipad/mac. I am sure there is at least one person in your organization who does.
It can absolutely be done- no question about that.
0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor
What type of server are you working with? is it ArcGIS Server? The mobile content server comes when you install ArcGIS Server 10. This install includes an on-premise �??mobile content server�?� that is a repository for the maps you can open on your smartphone device. These maps will have to be developed in JSON which is the format the webmaps are written in. This doc is slightly outdated but it can help you get your maps onto your mobile content server if you have one.
http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgismobile/10.0/apis/iphone/AppGuide/Maps.pdf

None of the maps you have already created will work on the app. For maps to work in the app they have to be coming from ArcGIS Online or your mobile content server.

On online you can restrict the users down to a group of people you want to use your maps or you can have them opened to the public. Also Online allows you to use token secured services if you want to further secure your maps beyond a group permission level.

This link will provide you all the information about ArcGIS.com:
http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisonline/help/index.html#/What_is_ArcGIS_com/010q0000000t000000/

Here is a sample map for you to check out. Tapping on the features will produce a popup of information. This can be accessed by arcgis online and the app.
http://www.arcgis.com/home/webmap/viewer.html?webmap=14579fcbb6074f2b83ffbedfdf07f0a8

Cheers
Russ
0 Kudos
MelindaFrost
Occasional Contributor
one more thing- pmf files are typically created through a check out process in ArcMap. I am wiling to bet you there are existing mxds for those maps. I would contact the person who manages creating those pmf files. And if so- can just use those to publish to argis online.
0 Kudos
CatherineHall2
New Contributor
Hi,
I looked out your public website and I looks like it is using ArcGIS Server .NET ADF. I know this is probably too technically jargen but essential it looks like you already have ArcGIS Server and have a map service- basically what this does is send to website images of map based on scale and extent requested. And it uses a ArcMap mxd or msd file to create the service.

This is the thing, I'm not an employee of the city council who is the provider/host of the maps. My partner works for a company that currently has the contract for repairs and maintenance on the council owned services. Up until now when he needs a map or information, he has left the job site, driven to the council building, and requested a map which they then printed out. He then drives back to his job site. Not at all efficient!

It feels to me like I -should- be able to just have an address via the arcgis app to access the same maps, it's just finding the right information to pass long so they can set it up how we need. The .pmf file we were given was an attempt by the council to make the information available. But yeah no dice there as I am all mac, and I don't want the maps on my base at home computer, we want them accessible to iPhones and iPads that the contractors would be carrying

At this stage the guy that hubby is passing messages along to is away, but if I can get enough research over the weekend I can pass long to him what it is we need. Do I need to ask him to get hold of and install the ArcGis server 10 then? or if they have that already, to check into the mobile content server

Really at this stage I'd be thrilled if I can get the map showing up in some kind of useable form on the iPad, even if that involves hubby sitting next to him and using the wifi network. Just so they can know that it isn't a waste of time to put a bit more effort into making it work properly.

I do feel like we're making progress, it was just a few weeks ago that they didn't even think we'd be able to run the pdf maps on the iPad. Had to beat head and explain via the hubby that the iPad did indeed have enough ability to handle 72mb of pdf files. It's a learning curve for all parties really, they're slowly coming to trust the iDevices as actually being powerful tools and not just a teenagers faddish toy
0 Kudos
CatherineHall2
New Contributor
one more thing- pmf files are typically created through a check out process in ArcMap. I am wiling to bet you there are existing mxds for those maps. I would contact the person who manages creating those pmf files. And if so- can just use those to publish to argis online.

I'll ask him about mxd. would that be like a master for the plans? and the files we were given a version of it saved as a .pmf to be usable by the arc reader software?  Hmm, kind of like if I create a file in mac OS pages, and then save it in .doc form to be readable by someone else who is running windows. and then them passing the .doc file along to someone else who only has the ability to open a .pdf file, and if I had just saved the original pages file as a .pdf instead of .doc then it'd be readable

I think I am understanding the process. It'd probably be a lot easier if I was actually the creator of the maps, or had some part in it,then I would know how they were created and what steps got them to the pmf stage. Oh well now to go follow up on some of those links and cause some more braincells to boil!
0 Kudos