iOS SDK and versioned databases

08-20-2014 04:53 AM
SamParsons
New Contributor

New to the iOS SDK and can't find this in the documentation.

Does anyone know if you can use the iOS SDK to edit and update a versioned database? From what I can read the SDK requires a feature service and I don't think you can publish a feature service for disconnected editing from a versioned database. Would just be good to get some confirmation from people who are familiar with it.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
YueWu1
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello Sam,

Basically there are two type of ways to setup the offline sync ability data schema before it published to ArcGIS Server.

Read-only data, which means you can download from server to local, but not able to sync or editing anything back to server.

Data need to be:

- Add Global IDs

- versioned

Sync enable data, which means you can download offline geodatabase from server to local, and the sync function is enabled.

Data need to be:

-  Add Global IDs

- Nonversioned

- Enable archiving

For more detail information, please take a reference about this documenation:  Preparing data for offline use

Hope this can help.

CameronWallace
Occasional Contributor II

From what I understand, you can publish a feature service for disconnected editing (as per the link above) but this is only available in Server version 10.2.1 and above (functional in 10.2.1, but I think it's recommended to go with 10.2.2 if you plan on using this functionality...)

I have yet to finish our upgrade, so haven't been able to test it yet, although I've tested it with hosted services on ArcGIS online with the Collector app, and it seems to work well.

0 Kudos
SamParsons
New Contributor

That is what I thought might be the case.

It is a shame as we developed some custom software on the 10.0 platform with the mobile SDK so users could do disconnected editing on a versioned database. We now have a client on 10.2.2 with iOS devices and wanted to convert our custom software to iOS but without the versioning it is of no use to the customer.

Is there an alternative to versioning that we cold use? Basically we need to be able to verify changes made in the field before they are posted to the main database (as post and reconcile does in 10.0)?

0 Kudos