Import prj tfw map and tif files

05-30-2016 05:12 AM
YseeMonnier
New Contributor

Hello,

I am beginner in GIS and I need to create iOS application which will allow to view information from .prj, .map, .tfw and .tif files.

I don't know if it is possible to import these files into ArcGis map.

I didn't find any docs about this...

Thank you.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

arcgis supports the following raster and image formats

List of supported raster and image data formats—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

Or are you are looking for code to view an image but haven't explored the documentation for your prefered development environment yet?

0 Kudos
YseeMonnier
New Contributor

Thank you for your answer,
Yes I am looking for code(iOS) to view an image and also get information from this file (georeferencement?).

0 Kudos
YseeMonnier
New Contributor

I searched an example which manipulate tiff file but nothing. I found example to display tpk file.

0 Kudos
NeilAyres
MVP Alum

Err...

"I am beginner in GIS and I need to create iOS application which will allow to view information from..."

I think us veterans are going to see an increasing amount of these enquiries. Although I know nothing about iOS applications, I really think that the app developers out there should, at least, get some of the basics down first.

0 Kudos
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

Your list of file extensions are four almost completely different things.

.prj = a projection file​ specifying a coordinate system

.map = never heard of this

.tfw = a world file for positioning a tiff

.tif = a raster (image)

Luckily, both .prj and .tfw are plain text, so fairly easily to read through code.

RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

If your are new to GIS, I would recommend starting with AppStudio for ArcGIS  instead of the iOS SDk...

AppStudio for ArcGIS is a groundbreaking tool in the GIS app revolution. It lets you convert your maps into beautiful, consumer-friendly mobile apps ready for Android, iOS, Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux, and publish them using your own brand to all popular app stores - no developer skills required. With AppStudio for ArcGIS, organizations on the ArcGIS platform now have the ability to build cross-platform native apps, in a snap.

To ask additional questions for AppBuilder, check out that group on geonet AppStudio for ArcGIS

There are other iOS compatible development apps available, including browser based apps like WebAppbuilder (both thru ArcGIS Online  and a developers edition... For dev edition, check out my blog Web AppBuilder Developer Edition - Customization Resource List, and other configurable apps like Collector.  Many options, and it just depends on what you need, whether it exists already, and what resources you have available to you already (ArcGIS Server, ArcGIS Online Enterprise or developer/personal only, etc.) Many of the apps now have at least some reliance on ARcGIS Online which may be why you are looking at the SDK. None of this is meant to scare you off of anything, but make sure to take a look at all the options available.

Building Apps | ArcGIS for Developers

to to understand more of the different terms you have mention, plus many more, check out the GIS dictionary

Esri Support GIS Dictionary

Beyond that, as Neil mentioned, it would help to have more details  on what you are trying to do. And as Darren pointed out, you are mixing projectionand world files with an image.  When you mention a .map file, are you meaning an ArcGIs map document.?  That is, an .mxd file maybe?

YseeMonnier
New Contributor

Thank you for your help.

The .map file is linked to geo-referencement. GIS software uses this file to know some features of the map that can not be encoded in the header tif file.

--

I have few files that I mentioned above(.prj, .map, .tfw, .tif). These files allow to view the light pollution in Europe.

First, I would like to import tif file on a iOS ArcGIS map.

I tried to make the same thing than this example which display a local tpk file but with tif file: arcgis-runtime-samples-ios/LocalTiledLayerSample at master · Esri/arcgis-runtime-samples-ios · GitHu...

I can not find the equivalent to import tif file.

0 Kudos
MichaelBranscomb
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi,

Currently ArcGIS Runtime supports GeoTIFF files which include the georeferencing information embedded within the TIFF file. You can use ArcGIS Pro to export as a TIFF with the GeoTIFF information.

Thanks

Mike

0 Kudos