Error installing ArcGIS runtime ios version 100.11.0

04-23-2021 08:37 AM
JayBowman12
New Contributor II

I downloaded and tried to manually install ArcGIS_Runtime_SDK_IOS_100_11_0.pkg. I tried to install 3 times, when I get to the last step I get a message "The installation failed". I removed the version 100.10 prior to install. My home drive is on an external SSD but I haven't had any issues before. 

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Nicholas-Furness
Esri Regular Contributor

I've had some issues recently where permissions appear to get messed up (I haven't identified the culprit yet, but it may be my anti-virus scanner or MDM software).

Can you try going to ~/Library/SDKs in Finder and make sure that your user has permissions to write? If not, set them (for simplicity I just set everyone to read/write) and then use the cog menu to apply to enclosed items.

2021-04-23_11-42-42.png

I don't know if that's the issue (especially if you've removed the previous version), but seems worth a try.

Can you let us know if that helps?

0 Kudos
JayBowman12
New Contributor II

This did not work. I set staff and everyone to read write. I get install failed prior to getting the dialog to access my external SSD. This is where all users/ folder is. I was low on hd space. I Did not have a problem installing 100.10. I tried to reinstall 100.10 and I have the same issue.

drwxrwxrwx    3 webdev  staff     96 Apr 23 11:21 SDKs

Screen Shot 2021-04-23 at 1.27.19 PM.png

0 Kudos
Nicholas-Furness
Esri Regular Contributor

That's odd that it bombs now but not when you installed 100.10 before. Have you updated macOS since then perhaps? I assume you have tried clicking "OK" on the permissions dialog, then re-running the installer?

Could you try this in the Terminal?

installer -package <path/to/ArcGIS installer package> -target CurrentUserHomeDirectory

(Note that you should literally enter CurrentUserHomeDirectory, and not, as I did, the path to my home directory).

0 Kudos
JayBowman12
New Contributor II

Yes, i'm sure the Mac OS has been updated since I installed 100.10. 

I tried the command line with this result: 

webdev@jays-mac-mini downloads % installer -package ArcGIS_Runtime_SDK_iOS_100_11_0.pkg -target CurrentUserHomeDirectory
installer: Package name is ArcGIS Runtime SDK for iOS
installer: Installing at base path /Volumes/ExternalSSD/Users/webdev
installer: The install failed. (The Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance. Authorization is required to install the packages.)

Then I tried with sudo and I got a little different error. 

installer: Installing at base path /var/root
installer: The install failed. (The Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance. An unexpected error occurred while moving files to the final destination.)

0 Kudos
Nicholas-Furness
Esri Regular Contributor

Hmmm. Interesting. I'm asking around, but in the meantime I have a couple of ideas to try…

You could open the System Preferences -> Security & Privacy and go to the Privacy tab. On the left, scroll down to Full Disk Access and select it. Unlock the padlock to allow changes, and then drag the installer package into the list of apps on the right hand side. Then try running the package.

These options aren't great, but could get you going while we figure out what the problem is:

You could install to another machine/user who doesn't have their home folder on an external drive, and then copy the ~/Library/SDKs folder over to the same location in your user account. Nothing is registered with the system, so this should be equivalent to a working installer package.

You could use Swift Package Manager or CocoaPods.

You could also try adding the -verboseR option to the non-sudo version of the terminal command to see if any more useful output is generated. (When I tried a sudo on that, it installed successfully to /Library/SDKs, and I could then copy the files over to ~/Library/SDKs).

0 Kudos
JayBowman12
New Contributor II

I have not tried you last suggestion yet. I did reboot the mac and then ran the installer from the commandline with the -verbose here is the output.

installer: Installing at base path /Volumes/ExternalSSD/Users/webdev

installer: Preparing for installation….....

installer: Preparing the disk….....

installer: Preparing ArcGIS Runtime SDK for iOS….....

installer: Waiting for other installations to complete….....

installer: Configuring the installation….....

Then I got the same error. I went ahead and installed the SDK into my project using swift package.

0 Kudos
Nicholas-Furness
Esri Regular Contributor

Good that SPM has got you moving. Unfortunately those installer logs don't help 😞

If you have time to try it out, I would be interested to know if the System Preferences permissions solution works.

But you could also just download the framework from https://developers.arcgis.com/ios/downloads/ArcGIS-iOS-v100.11.xcframework.zip and copy it to ~/Library/SDKs/ArcGIS/Frameworks/ArcGIS.xcframework

That's what SPM does for each project, and is the same xcframework the install package provides.

0 Kudos