create vtpk from Esri Vector Basemaps

12-26-2018 01:38 PM
MichaelDavis3
Occasional Contributor III

Is there a supported workflow to create a vector tile cache (.vtpk) from an ESRI vector basemap?  There are export versions of the vector basemap layers available and the "Create Vector Tile Package" tool in ArcGIS Pro mentions generating vector tiles from a basemap, but I have yet to get one to actually export.  The ArcGIS Pro tool returns an error every time saying the layer type is not supported for vector tile packages.

Does anyone have a method that actually works for this?

9 Replies
NimeshJarecha
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Michael,

The Vector Basemap you are trying to export in ArcGIS Pro is your own published layer or one of the Esri published basemap? What is the error you are getting? Can you give us exact error message?

You can try using  ArcGIS Runtime SDK for iOS: AGSExportVectorTilesTask to create .vtpk from a vector basemap. 

Regards,

Nimesh

MichaelDavis3

Hi Nimesh - 

For our initial development and testing we were hoping to generate a vtpk of the ESRI Navigation vector basemap (export version) in ArcGIS Pro to "bake in" with the app install package.  Further down the road I think the plans are to develop a custom basemap specific for the app.  

Regardless of the vector tile layer used I get this error:

001852: Layer type is not supported for vector tile packages.—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

0 Kudos
NimeshJarecha
Esri Regular Contributor

Can you send me the link to the ESRI Navigation vector basemap (export version) you are using? 

Regards,

Nimesh

0 Kudos
MichaelDavis3

Using ArcGIS Pro 2.2.4 BTW.

0 Kudos
NimeshJarecha
Esri Regular Contributor

I'm able to successfully export .vtpk from above services using ArcGIS Runtime SDK for iOS: AGSExportVectorTilesTask. You can try the same but exporting .vtpk is not free. You need valid credentials to do so.

This is a forum for ArcGIS Runtime SDK for iOS and for error regarding error of using ArcGIS Pro, I would suggest posting question on the ArcGIS Pro forums so appropriate folks can help you.

Regards,

Nimesh

MichaelDavis3

Thanks Nimesh - It seemed like this was a supported workflow, but I was having trouble finding specific documentation  for creating vtpk files using ESRI base maps.  I just thought I'd check this forum to see if anyone else had done one.

I'll post something in the Pro forum.

0 Kudos
Nicholas-Furness
Esri Regular Contributor

Hey Michael,

A couple of things to add to Nimesh's replies:

One thing to bear in mind is that the you can export both the regular and "for export" vector tile services. The difference is that the "for export" vector tiles have a smaller (~15Mb vs ~90Mb) set of style resources that are downloaded. The difference is largely in the fonts that are downloaded.

"I just thought I'd check this forum to see if anyone else had done one" FWIW, I have in the past built various bare-bones apps with the Runtime SDK to generate and download VTPKs, but they've never been even close to polished. I've used those VTPKs in Pro to generate MMPKs for Runtime use, and have also side-loaded them for direct Runtime app use.

Hope that helps,

Nick.

0 Kudos
jeevipedda
New Contributor

How can I combine the multiple base map .vtpks?
Scenario: I export the Topographic map to 2 different extents maps. I want to combine those two into one .vtpk

0 Kudos