Can a Bluetooth barcode reader update a Geodatabase via ArcGIS Server on iPad?

Jump to solution
07-17-2012 02:48 PM
StephenLead
Regular Contributor III

I need the ability for a field operator (using an iPad) to select a feature in a geodatabase served via ArcGIS Server, and scan its barcode, which should be entered into the geodatabase as an attribute.

1) Will the ArcGIS iOS app handle this capability - can it talk to an external barcode reader, and use the output of the barcode reader to edit an attribute?

2) Assuming that it can't and we need to write an our own app, are there any mechanisms within the iOS API which allow talking to hardware devices?

The ideal scenario would be a wizard-based approach which prompted the user to scan the barcode when a suitable feature was clicked, then entered the resulting barcode text as an attribute. A more manual, step-by-step workaround would be acceptable if necessary.

I've assumed that an external barcode reader, connected via Bluetooth, will be necessary as it's impractical to use the iPad's own camera due to accessibility issues (eg pits).

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PaulLohr
Occasional Contributor III
[INDENT]"1) Will the ArcGIS iOS app handle this capability - can it talk to an external barcode reader, and use the output of the barcode reader to edit an attribute?"
[/INDENT]

I don't know of a way the ArcGIS app can do this. If someone knows how it can be done, I'd like to hear about it.

[INDENT]"2) Assuming that it can't and we need to write an our own app, are there any mechanisms within the iOS API which allow talking to hardware devices?"
[/INDENT]

Pretty sure you will want to rely on the API from your bar code scanner to communicate with it. Once the scan and conversion to text has occurred, I think the ArcGIS SDK would be used to connect to a feature service and add the bar code generated text as an attribute.

I've not done this yet. If anyone has corrections, I am open to hearing them.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
PaulLohr
[INDENT]"1) Will the ArcGIS iOS app handle this capability - can it talk to an external barcode reader, and use the output of the barcode reader to edit an attribute?"
[/INDENT]

I don't know of a way the ArcGIS app can do this. If someone knows how it can be done, I'd like to hear about it.

[INDENT]"2) Assuming that it can't and we need to write an our own app, are there any mechanisms within the iOS API which allow talking to hardware devices?"
[/INDENT]

Pretty sure you will want to rely on the API from your bar code scanner to communicate with it. Once the scan and conversion to text has occurred, I think the ArcGIS SDK would be used to connect to a feature service and add the bar code generated text as an attribute.

I've not done this yet. If anyone has corrections, I am open to hearing them.
0 Kudos
StephenLead
Regular Contributor III
Thanks Paul. Much appreciated.
0 Kudos
sdgdgergrtgr
New Contributor
i know it is possible to have an external barcode scanner c# in you phone, and when you click the bluetooth reader. it will automaticall scan generated barcodes. they maybe integrated together.
0 Kudos
MichaelDavis3
You probably want to use a scanner from a manufacturer that provides an API -

A quick search revealed that Socket Mobile has an SDK for their scanners:
http://www.socketmobile.com/

http://www.socketmobile.com/Support/developer/SocketScan/

-Mike
0 Kudos
davidanderson5
New Contributor
I am now using this barcode reader in my iPhone. It can read the created barcode smoothly. It is very easy to use. You can just install it in your mobile and do a few steps. Share it with you.
0 Kudos
makaveiljojo
New Contributor
I am now using this   barcode reader in my iPhone. It can read the   created barcode smoothly. It is very easy to use. You can just install it in your mobile and do a few steps. Share it with you.

Can you tell me which reader is that? I've been looking for a good one for my phone. It'll be awesome if it has the function of generating barcode at the same time.
0 Kudos
mariahlewis
New Contributor
Can you tell me which reader is that? I've been looking for a good one for my phone. It'll be awesome if it has the function of generating barcode at the same time.

check this barcode reader app for phone
http://www.iphonestop.net/best-5-iphone-qr-barcode-scanner-apps/
0 Kudos
HILLARYHALL
New Contributor II
i know it is possible to have an external barcode scanner c# in you phone, and when you click the bluetooth reader. it will automaticall scan generated barcodes. they maybe integrated together.

Can you be more specific on how to creating and scanning barcodes within .net project?
0 Kudos
mikedavis2
New Contributor II
There are numerous scanner API's for iOS which would probably work just fine with the ESRI iOS SDK.  After all - they are just providing a number string which you could then plug into any field.

You might also look at the RedLaser SDK
http://redlaser.com/developers/
It lets you use the iOS camera as a barcode scanner - eliminating the need for an external accessory.