Advice for new developer with OS X Mountain Lion

Jump to solution
10-18-2012 07:23 AM
AliciaSoto
Occasional Contributor
I recently got my hands on a new MacBook Pro running OS X Mountain Lion. (when i go to the 'about this mac' it says OS X version 10.8.2)

I've had very little experience with Macs in the past, but I would like to try my hand at xCode and making custom arcgis iOS applications. My only experience with arcgis iOS applications so far is modifying the standard ESRI app through JSON files.

Once I got the latest ArcGIS iOS SDK installed (v2.3.2), I went to the samples folder and looked at the MapViewDemo.xcodeproj

Here are my questions:

Does anyone know of any more samples that utilize the latest SDK? Most of the samples here have only been updated to v2.3

Should I uninstall the SDK and install v2.3 instead?

I do have access to this ESRI class, but the samples work with xCode 4 or 4.1
I don't think it's even possible to install xCode 4 on OS 10.8.2

For now, I'm reading up on xCode and using the MapViewDemo as an example.
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
NimeshJarecha
Esri Regular Contributor
You don't need to uninstall v2.3.2 SDK. There are only few changes (few bug fixes to support iOS 6) between v2.3 and v2.3.2. All sample will continue to work with v2.3.2. If you are using Xcode 4.5 then you'll have to make one change in project which is mentioned in this doc under heading Update to v2.3.

Since, you are new to development with Xcode and our SDK, I would suggest going thru conceptual documentation.

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Nimesh

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
NimeshJarecha
Esri Regular Contributor
You don't need to uninstall v2.3.2 SDK. There are only few changes (few bug fixes to support iOS 6) between v2.3 and v2.3.2. All sample will continue to work with v2.3.2. If you are using Xcode 4.5 then you'll have to make one change in project which is mentioned in this doc under heading Update to v2.3.

Since, you are new to development with Xcode and our SDK, I would suggest going thru conceptual documentation.

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Nimesh
0 Kudos
PaulLohr
Occasional Contributor III
I think persistence is the key to learning Objective C and iOS development. I have been through numerous books and tutorials. I have not yet come across a book or tutorial that I would qualify as mostly understandable. Usually there are concepts or mysterious code snippets that go unexplained. This is intended to let you know what to expect rather than discourage you.

As Objective C and Xcode "matures", things are "optimized" that may create confusion for the new programmer. For example, now Apple is saying we don't have to synthesize properties as Xcode does it automatically. That will create confusion for new programmers. But those programmers who were around for the transition to automatic synthesizing will know what the deal is. You will pick up on these things. It takes time and patience.

You will probably want to learn C at a basic level. Plenty of tutorials for this on the web.

The best Objective-C books I have found are linked below.
http://www.amazon.com/iOS-Programming-Ranch-Edition-Guides/dp/0321821521/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1351...

http://www.amazon.com/Objective-C-Programming-Dummies-Neal-Goldstein/dp/111821398X/ref=sr_1_1?s=book...

I don't like the Kindle version of programming books because I need to write in the book. Annotation does not exist in the Kindle as far as I know. Kindle does not easily allow the user to print pages either.

Best wishes and God bless you,
Paul Lohr
0 Kudos
AliciaSoto
Occasional Contributor
Thanks for the heads up about the mysteries of Xcode Paul 🙂 I totally understand how that would drive some people away. The rest of us are intrigued by the challenge 🙂
0 Kudos