Attachments on server but not on device

11-08-2011 08:54 PM
AHay
by
New Contributor III
i have made a map to view on the esri ios app with editing and attachments enabled, all is good can edit and add attachments but when i come back into app the attachments images are blank.

the images do get sent to server but they will not open from desktop / catalog i can only see then if i save to a folder then open from folder.

i fixed all the virtual paths to output and cache folders but still cannot see in app

any ideas anyone?
0 Kudos
18 Replies
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor
Can you see the attachments on the web map you created?
Thanks
Russ
0 Kudos
AHay
by
New Contributor III
i can see that there is an attachment but it is blank after i come back into app  , i can see its file name and there is option to open it but there is no picture.  Fr gen popup it doesn't open at all and if you go into edit feature and then go to attachments it opens a blank image.

the image is however on the server and can be saved and then opened.

do you know were the image are stored on the server ? it may be a permissions issue
0 Kudos
MatthewFletcher
Occasional Contributor
I have the same problem.  I can attach a picture to a point and as long as I don't disconnect from my wireless or 3g connection, I can see the attachment.  If I close out the esri app, turn off the iPad (standby), come back into the esri app, the attachment will still be available.

Once I disconnect from the network, reconnect and try to view the attached picture, a blank white picture is downloaded into the esri app.  The images are available via the layer in a desktop environment, so I know the pictures are being saved, their just not being downloaded back onto the iOS app when wanted.

I was thinking database or virtual directory issues, but haven't found anything yet.
0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor
Are you able to open these attachments when viewing the features on ArcGIS Online or are these maps hosted on your mobile content server?
Thanks
Russ
0 Kudos
MatthewFletcher
Occasional Contributor
All my data is hosted locally on the mobile content server.

Matt
0 Kudos
AHay
by
New Contributor III
Russ, my data is also hosted on local content server

Matt, someone else with same prob, are you able to see the image in arcmap? i can only see it if i save to another folder and then open it

Interestingly the android version of app throws and error stating internal server error ( i know generic error but a start)

this is a real issue as we really require the attachments part
0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor
Hey
just a couple of questions:
What folder are you grabbing the attachments from?
What directories do you have set up for you outputs?
Is there any way you are able to see the rest endpoint for your attachments? One way to check is to place that feature in a web map on arcgis.com and make sure your attachments are visible. Once you do this click on a feature with attachments and see if it will download and open or if you will get sent to a broken rest endpoint.

Thanks
Russ
0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor
here is a sample that will help you hit a feature with an attachment through the rest endpoint

sampleserver.arcgisonline.com/ArcGIS/rest/services/FolderNameHere/FeatureServiceName/FeatureServer/Layer # i.e 0/OID of a feature i.e 851/attachments

Hope this helps
Russ
0 Kudos
MatthewFletcher
Occasional Contributor
Hay,
I'm able to see the image in ArcMap via the identify tool in ArcMap.  Do you get a server error code 500 similar to what I wrote below?

Russ,
My attachments are being stored in a SDE GeoDatabase in SQLExpress.  So I guess the folder location would be where the database is stored, at D:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data.  The feature class is in a feature dataset, not sure if it matters.

I have 2 output directories.  One for internal firewall, the other for external.  The problem exists for both output directories.  The internal is located at  D:\arcgisserver\arcgisoutput\, the external is located at  D:\arcgisserver_external\arcgisoutput.  I am able to see the pictures I've taken as attachments in the output folders.   

I tried going the ArcGIS.com route to view my attachments.  Anytime I try to open an attachment, I receive an error stating "Server error - the remote name could not be resolved:'your.server.name'  Code:500".

Not sure what else to check.

Thanks,
Matt
0 Kudos