Seamless Map Transitions

12-25-2011 04:30 PM
IcarusBird
New Contributor
Hi. The application I'd like to develop needs seamless map transitions at the map edges between adjoining maps (an aviation moving map). The maps are all the same projection and have consistent geographical extents per pixel. Will ArcGIS for Android support this functionality for a locally stored cache using the LocalTiledLayer call?
0 Kudos
6 Replies
ArchanaAgarwal
New Contributor III
Trying to understand your problem, are you asking if panning or zooming action will be seamless? If so then it will work for ArcGISLocalTiledLayer.
0 Kudos
IcarusBird
New Contributor
I'm referring to the panning action. The underlying map database consists of a series of geotiffs with coverage of the entire world. The individual geotiffs have 'clean' edges with the adjoining geotiff so they could be joined electronically to form a larger map.

My question is whether ArcGIS can refer to these underlying separate geotiffs and merge them 'on the fly' when the user is transitioning across chart coverage areas (some geotiffs are in the order of 45Mb per file).

I'm aware of some memory restrictions in Android and wonder whether this will be an issue. For example, the worst case scenario is when a user would be located at the intersection of 4 map joins. Will the ArcGISLocalTiled Layer handle this?
0 Kudos
ArchanaAgarwal
New Contributor III
What about using ArcGISImageServiceLayer for this purpose? Or do you need a disconnected solution?
0 Kudos
IcarusBird
New Contributor
A disconnected solution is needed. In aviation, a data connection is not allowed (by regulation) or is often not possible (over water). Thus the reason for the locally stored cache.
0 Kudos
DanO_Neill
Occasional Contributor III
You need to create a local tile cache in ArcGIS Server and export the tiles from the map cache to your devices SD Card for the coverage area required, assuming you don't need the entire world for each flight :). This will offer you the disconnected solution with seemless panning of your coverage area. ArcGIS for Android supports the new compact storage format provided by ArcGIS Server 10.0. We offer a local tile layer sample in our SDK that depends on a 'pre-cooked' local tile cache in compact storage format.
0 Kudos
MikeWatson
New Contributor
Check out the following two web sites

http://www.mvm.usace.army.mil/BaseMap/PoorManWebMap.htm.

http://www.mvm.usace.army.mil/basemap/BaseMap.asp.

If it's of interest, I'll email you a word document.  You need to be using IE to view the map.  It's pretty basic and the code hasn't been updated since 2004.
0 Kudos