offline mode and how to create compact data

01-21-2013 11:14 PM
JessicaSena
New Contributor
Hi,

I'm new at arcgis runtime for android, and I have some questions about the offline mode.

For what I see in the samples, I'm not sure if there is a way to store in the device the cache tiles "on the fly"... I mean, if it is possible to create the compact cache data according to the requests done at every moment and store it to access when the device is offline...

Or the only way to work in offline mode would be to create a tiled cache service, with which create a compact data package that we should download and store in the sd card in order to use it later (as it is explained here) ?

Thanks in advance,
0 Kudos
5 Replies
JessicaSena
New Contributor
After some more research, I�??m pretty sure that the only way to store in the sd the map tiles loaded during a zoom, is to do it one by one �??by hand�?� in a sqllite db for example, although I'm not getting exactly how... am I right? I guess then that ArcGis Runtime for Android dos not offer any special way to do it.

I�??ll be very grateful if somebody could enlighten me or confirm my guess...

Thanks again!
0 Kudos
MilesWacker
New Contributor
0 Kudos
JessicaSena
New Contributor
That was exactly what I was looking for! but the problem is that it looks like "OfflineableTiledMapServiceLayer" is only available in Windows Mobile SDK... 😞

Does the corresponding class for the Android SDK exist? If it is, which one is? Or which one can I use in order to achieve a similar behaviour?

Thanks,
0 Kudos
AndyGup
Esri Regular Contributor
Jessica, I don't have an exact answer to your first question, but maybe these links will get you pointed in the right direction:

ArcGISLocalTiledLayer: http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/android-sdk/api/reference/com/esri/android/map/ags/ArcGISLocalTi...

Offline WindTurbine Sample app: https://github.com/Esri/offline-windturbine-inspector-android

-Andy
0 Kudos
JessicaSena
New Contributor
Thanks for the links Andy, but that's exactly the opposite of what I'm looking for 😞

ArcGisTiledLayer allows you to read data (tiled cache) previously stored on your SDcard. What I need, is something like the "OfflineableTiledMapServiceLayer" of Windows Mobile SDK: a layer that at the same time that receives the data from the online connection, can store it in the SDcard, and in case you lost the connection, tries to retrieve the info from this stored data.

"OfflineableTiledMapServiceLayer is derived from ArcGISTiledMapServiceLayer, which could automatically save tile images from base map layer to a Sqlite database file in IsolatedStorage, then when your phone is offline, it can automatically load tiles from local database as a offline map layer(without any modification of your code)."

So... do we have something like that in the ArcGIs Runtime Android SDK? In case not, are you planning to add this functionality in future updatings?

Thanks!
0 Kudos