Map Disappears When Zooming Out

06-26-2014 07:19 AM
GSauers
Occasional Contributor
I have noticed an issue in the ArcGIS 10.2.3 SDK when zooming out of a cached map. The map will disappear at a certain zoom level and then reappear when you zoom back in.

The 10.1.1 SDK did not have this issue; the map would zoom out and show more and more of the world until the entire world was shown. My cached maps are the same for testing with both versions of the SDK.

This is an issue because if you zoom out too far and the map moves a little, when you zoom back in you cannot find the map because it is just a grid and there is no way to tell where the map covers.

Thank you for any advice and/or help.
0 Kudos
8 Replies
GSauers
Occasional Contributor

Has anyone seen this before? Any help please?

0 Kudos
LukeBettis
New Contributor

This appears to be fixed in 10.2.4 released yesterday.

0 Kudos
GSauers
Occasional Contributor

Thank you very much for the update. I will try this out and report my findings. Thanks.

0 Kudos
GSauers
Occasional Contributor

Unfortunately, the new patch does NOT seem to fix this issue. When I zoom out from a cached map it gets to a certain zoom level and just stops showing the map. The extent seems to limited as well.

Thank you for the update though.

0 Kudos
WillCrick
Occasional Contributor

Please check the min/max zoom levels defined on the layer, these are respected by the map (and did not used to be) so that could be your problem.

W.

0 Kudos
GSauers
Occasional Contributor

Thank you for the response, I currently set the MaxScale and MinScale so that the map can be zoomed in to a certain level and zoomed out to a certain level. I do not see a min/max zoom level for a map view.

I can continue zooming out from a map, but at a certain point the map disappears, but I can still continue zooming out. If I load a map without the closer resolution, I can zoom out to view the whole World. Could it be something to do with the resolution setting?

It's almost like the map will only zoom to a certain number of zoom levels for each map. So a map I create with 0-17 zooms levels will only zoom maybe 12 zoom levels and a map I create with 0-12 zoom levels will also only zoom 12 levels.

Thanks for the help,

Graham

0 Kudos
PuneetPrakash
Esri Contributor

The only difference that you should be seeing between the two releases is that at 10.2.4 you might not see the tiles at the lowest Level of detail(LOD) based on the resolution of your device. As Will mentioned at 10.1.1 the maxScale property was not being honored and you could see the last LOD when zooming out.

The visibility of the layers can also be getting effected by how you are adding the layers to the map. You are able to zoom in/out of the MapView depending on the number of LODs present in first layer added to the MapView.

For Ex: if the first layer added to the MapView has LODs from 0-12 and the second layer has LODs from 0-17 you will be able to zoom in/out the mapView to layers 0-12 only.

conversely, if the first layer has LODs from 0-17 and probably no data from 12-17, and 2nd layer has LODs from 0-12 you, can still zoom in till level 17 with the grids showing and no map.

Another case, if you are setting the Min and Max Scale on the Mapview, you will be able to zoom in/out of the MapView but the layer is only going to be visible with in its bounds of Min and Max Scale.

localTileLayer.setMinScale(73957190.948944002);

localTileLayer.setMaxScale(9244648.8686180003);

mMapView.setMinScale(739571900.948944002);

mMapView.setMaxScale(924464.8686180003);

-Puneet

0 Kudos
GSauers
Occasional Contributor

Thank you for the response, but I don't think this is what I am looking for. I only load one map at a time, although I do have multiple layers with different objects in them.

As for the min and max scale, I do set these to static values that allow the user to zoom in to about 100 meters across and zoom out just enough to view the world. With these min and max scales the user can zoom to all levels, but for some maps, the world does not show, it is just the grid. And for other maps, when the zoom in, it is just pixelated.

Thank you for the response and help.

0 Kudos